title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Secure Rip Drives or not?

Secure Rip Drives or not?

Hi Spoon,

I bought RipNAS Essentials some days ago and installed it on an Acer H340 running a German version of WHS without any problem.

Having tried the following drives on the WHS, the "secure option" did not pop up with any of them:
    1. Plextor PX-740A DVD-Writer (mounted in an external USB drive-box).
    2. Samsung SE-084 DVD-Writer (USB).
    3. Teac CD-224E-N CD-ROM (USB).

Having ripped 22 discs yet, I did not get any error message from RipNAS.
    Now my questions:
    a) Does RipNAS do multiple reads and compare the data with an "unsecure" drive? If not, how can I be sure to have no errors?
    b) How can I get some more drive info (e.g. C2 pointer support) from RipNAS?
    c) Do you have a list of drives, which support "secure" ripping?

Thank you for help!

Administrator

Re: Secure Rip Drives or not?

RipNAS essentials does not offer secure ripping.

I'm very disappointed to hear that, because on your webpage "http://dbpoweramp.com/ripnas-manual.htm" the option is listed in the settings dialog. It was one of two main features, why I decided to by RipNAS Essentials.

So which of your products does support secure ripping?

Tx,
    Klaus

Administrator

The manual refers to RipNAS Essentials Secure (as previously sold with the Teac drive which is now discontinued) and RipNAS Essentials. The latter is non-secure as detailed here:

http://dbpoweramp.com/ripnas-essentials-purchase.htm

and here:

http://reg.dbpoweramp.com/store/prod...ID=71&P_ID=132

Hi, Just purchased HP WHS which i plan to download Aset pnp and am looking for good external drive to rip. Can anyone recomend a drive please?

Spoon,

Is the "secure" aspect of the Essential software tied directly to the specified optical drive?

If, so is there a way to make a secured nas if you do have the TEAC-DW224SL drive?

I did search the forum and I noted that you said the two ways of a secured rip was the RipNAS(Secured) and Reference 14 with a good drive.

I am currently building a nas and replicating the RipNas specs. I managed to get my hands on TEAC-DW224SL and a D945 Motherboad (Atom). I even decided on the HFX case. Everything but the software.

dBpoweramp Guru

I have never understand why ripnas essentials can't simply configure offset/securerip in the same manner as dbpoweramp or eac or whatever..

IE keep inserting disks until it accepts them for accurate rip configuration.

Administrator

We are unable to offer the secure version of RipNAS Essentials. There are many firmware revisions of the 224SL and only one revision is configured for secure ripping.