title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: 5.1 DTS Wav to FLAC

5.1 DTS Wav to FLAC

I have been trying to find info on how to convert audio that i already have in wav format (5.1 DTS/24bit cd rips) into flac, preserving the 5.1 and DTS attributes.

I want to change them over to flac becuase of the better tagging options and support. i tried just looking through the music converter options, but i dont see anything mention DTS. I did see the dsp affect of channel mapping of course, but i wasnt sure if this is simply keeping it just as the original, or if its doing some kind of artificial mapping unrealted to the source.

is there something else i must do to convert these to flac properly? thanks for the help.

Administrator

Re: 5.1 DTS Wav to FLAC

If the file is DTS (ie encoded, when played on a device without DTS support it will sound like white noise), it can be converted to FLAC and the DTS encoding will be preserved.

Oh ok great, what about the 5.1 channel mapping?

when i tried a test conversion just using the flac option, the resulting file is 2 channel. also, if i check the file with mediainfo, it does not show dts either, its just shown as stereo.

do i need to use the dsp affect for adding the 6 channels?

Administrator

AFAIK 5.1 comes from the 2 channel when decoded.

This is the way it works with the files I have, which are ripped from dts-encoded CDs. They show up as 2 channel, but will play back in 5.1 when sent to a dts decoder via spdif.

You have to use a lossless format, such as flac, and you have to use a player that provides bit-perfect output. I use J.River Media Center, but several others will do, such as foobar 2000 and MusicBee. Be sure to select WASAPI, ASIO or Kernel streaming output so the Windows mixer won't alter the sound.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Converting the DTS wave file to flac will give you a DTS Flac file, which will have to be played through a DTS decoder same as right now. It can be bitstreamed over optical.

If you decode the DTS to 5.1 wave, then to Flac, the resulting file will be multi-channel and cannot be bitstreamed over optical. You'll need analog or HDMI and a receiver that plays FLAC (I don't know such exists.) eac3to can convert files from DTS to other formats (aac & flac) if you're interested.

Hello, just tried to "RIP" Titanic 20bit/5.1 channel DTS soundtrack cd to flac. But with VLC and XBMC 12 (beta3) I only get noise - no 5.1 sound on the amp. Do I have to change something within dbpoweramp?

I use HDMI not spdif connection to the amp.
    christian
    Last edited by schindler; 12-08-2012 at 05:48 PM.

Administrator

if your player is not bit perfect (or the hardware player is not DTS compatible) then you will get noise.

So if I insert a DTS 20Bit 5.1 channel cd and rip/convert it with dbpoweramt to flac. DTS 5.1 information is still in flac? Event if Windows or XBMC only see 16Bit file.
    Christian

Administrator

Yes it is ripped as 16 bit 2 channel DTS encoded (as it is stored on CD).

confusing, but inside the flac file it is still 20bit/5.1 channel DTS? Because on the CD this values are mentioned.

Administrator

It is an encoded lossy format, so stored as 16 bit 2 channels, but encoded like mp3.