title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Hear Internet Radio

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jdoll
    • Oct 2010

Hear Internet Radio

Just installed Asset. Client can select and play files. Client can select and appear to play internet radio stations, but there is no sound. What to do?
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Hear Internet Radio

What is the playing device?
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• jdoll
      • Oct 2010

Playing device is a Netgear MP-101.

While MP-101 "appears" to play a radio stream, its displayed elapsed time counter remains at 00:00.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

Try installing Renaissance (a software UPnP player and see if the PC can play a UPnP Radio station):

dBpoweramp Renaissance is a revitalization of dAP (dBpoweramp Audio Player), re-built from the ground up with specific unique goals. Designed to be the most efficient (in terms of memory footprint and resources used) audio player ever designed, featuring: Built in UPnP Renderer: Renaissance enables your PC as a UPnP
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• jdoll
          • Oct 2010

I tried Renaissance, along with Asset Control Point. The result was similar.

I first verified I could play files. When I tried to play radio stations, I got no sound. I noticed that the Play/Pause button spontaneously changed state every few seconds while attempting to play a radio stream.

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

Possibly either your firewall or internet router which is blocking the radio stream.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• jdoll
              • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Spoon
              Possibly either your firewall or internet router which is blocking the radio stream.
              I turned off the firewall on the server machine.

On the same server machine, I fired up the Netgear UPnP server that came with the MP-101. The MP-101 was able to access it and play radio stations.

Asset Control Point was able to access the Netgear server. When it displayed a list of radio stations, they were unselectable. An icon of a note covered by a cross-out circle appeared to the left of each listing. Asset Control Point became unable to read the list of stations. Terminating and restarting it fixed that problem, but the stations remained unselectable.

When the MP-101 is connected to Asset UPnP server and a radio station list displayed, selecting one of them appears to work. However, no sound is heard and the elapsed time meter does not toll. When that selection is abandoned, and the same or another station subsequently selected, the MP-101 reboots.

Is it possible the router could be blocking radio streams for Asset UPnP, but not for the Netgear server? Why should streams from the Netgear server be unplayable on Asset Control Point? Windows firewall is turned off on the machine that is running Control Point.

Comment

• Spoon
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

What is your router? Once when developing internet radio it stopped working for a few hours, so I recompiled all the code as debug and began tracing what was failing. In the end something had happened to the netgear router and a simple reboot of the router restored internet radio...
                Spoon
                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• jdoll
                  • Oct 2010

What is your router? Once when developing internet radio it stopped working for a few hours, so I recompiled all the code as debug and began tracing what was failing. In the end something had happened to the netgear router and a simple reboot of the router restored internet radio...
                  The router is an AirLink 101. I tried rebooting it, but nothing changed.

NB that same router can successfully supply radio streams to the Netgear UPnP server, running on the same machine as Asset UPnP Server.

Comment

• Spoon
                    Administrator
                    • Apr 2002

The Netgear will be streaming mp3, where as Asset streams WMA.
                    Spoon
                    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• jdoll
                      • Oct 2010

The Netgear will be streaming mp3, where as Asset streams WMA.
                      Hmmm... would router settings affect the type of stream that can be acquired?

If so, could I test this theory by attempting to stream a radio station that does not offer a wma stream, but does offer mp3?

Is there something that should be changed in the router to enable wma streams?

Comment

• Spoon
                        Administrator
                        • Apr 2002

You can test a mp3 stream yes, if you look at www.radiotime.com and browse a stream which is only mp3 (and does not appear for wma) then try to stream it.
                        Spoon
                        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• jdoll
                          • Oct 2010

You can test a mp3 stream yes, if you look at www.radiotime.com and browse a stream which is only mp3 (and does not appear for wma) then try to stream it.

I found a local station, KRTY, that offers only mp3. For good measure, I unchecked all non-mp3 media types in my RadioTime account.

When I looked for KRTY on the MP-101 via Asset UPnP, it did not appear. When I looked at local stations via Asset Control Point, *none* appeared.

After re-checking other media types at RadioTime, local stations re-appeared via Asset Control Point. KRTY was not among them.

Does this mean that Asset UPnP will not stream any station that does not offer wma? Or include it in a menu?

KRTY streamed fine via browser.

Comment

• Spoon
                            Administrator
                            • Apr 2002

Sorry I did not mention you need Asset v3 (in the beta section) to list mp3 radio stations.
                            Spoon
                            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>