title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Music Converter Encoding Speed

Music Converter Encoding Speed

Just bought the full registered version. I am converting my flac files to MP3 at Quality (VBR) Medium. The problem I am having is that the encoding speed is only topping out at around 2x. I have tried a test conversion and am getting 887x.

My specs are: i5 730, ATI HD 5770 black, 8 GB RAM Dual, Gigabyte P55A UD4, WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 2.

So I don't think it has anything to do with my specs.

Also to note, I was using the batch converter yesterday (with subscription expired) and it was converting at really high rates (except no file would be created as I had no subscription obviously).

Is there something I am missing? I have tried to convert to Apple Lossless since I thought it might have something to do with LAME, but to no avail, I had the same problem of slow encoding speed. I have also tried to have cpu usage 'above normal'.

Re: Music Converter Encoding Speed

Quote Originally Posted by webraft View Post
    Just bought the full registered version. I am converting my flac files to MP3 at Quality (VBR) Medium. The problem I am having is that the encoding speed is only topping out at around 2x. I have tried a test conversion and am getting 887x.

My specs are: i5 730, ATI HD 5770 black, 8 GB RAM Dual, Gigabyte P55A UD4, WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 2.

So I don't think it has anything to do with my specs.

Also to note, I was using the batch converter yesterday (with subscription expired) and it was converting at really high rates (except no file would be created as I had no subscription obviously).

Is there something I am missing? I have tried to convert to Apple Lossless since I thought it might have something to do with LAME, but to no avail, I had the same problem of slow encoding speed. I have also tried to have cpu usage 'above normal'.
    Forgot to mention that I am running Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.

dBpoweramp Music Convert Release 14
    Codecs Installed

Encoders (write)

[Multi Encoder] Release 3
    Aiff Release 11
    .aif
    Apple Lossless Release 14
    .m4a
    FLAC Release 14 (FLAC 1.2.1)
    .flac
    mp3 (Lame) Lame 3.98.4
    .mp3
    Test Conversion
    Wave Release 14
    .wav

Decoders (read)

Aiff Decoder
    .aif, .aifc, .aiff
    CD Decoder Release 14
    .cda
    FLAC Decoder
    .flac
    m4a / mp4 Decoder
    .m4a, .m4b, .mp4
    Monkeys Audio Decoder
    .ape
    mp3 Decoder Release 14
    .m2a, .mp1, .mp2, .mp3, .mpa, .mpeg, .mpg, .mpga, .mpx
    Wave Decoder Release 14
    .bwf, .wav
    WavPack Decoder
    .wv

Install on Demand

Ogg Vorbis .ogg
    Windows Media Audio 10 .wma
    Real Audio (Helix) (read only) .ra
    AAC (Advanced Audio Compression) (read only) .aac
    Midi (read only) .mid
    Shorten (read only) .shn
    Musepack (read only) .mpc

Re: Music Converter Encoding Speed

Found the problem. Was converting to a SD card, which turns out to be quite old and therefore very slow. So that was where the bottle neck was.