title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Drag & drop into Batch Converter

Drag & drop into Batch Converter

My workflow for converting lossless files involves using a program X to find the ones that have their Archive bit set, and then dragging those files into another company's converter program window. I can't do that with dbPowerAmp as it doesn't seem to support drag and drop. (The dbPowerAmp shell extension "Convert to" menu doesn't help on x64 as program X is 32 bits and doesn't load it.) I'll have to stick with other converter programs unless I'm overlooking something in dbPowerAmp; if not, drag and drop would be a good feature to add.

Administrator

Re: Drag & drop into Batch Converter

You can drag and drop on to the music converter page I think?

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    You can drag and drop on to the music converter page I think?
    When I run Music Converter, the first thing it does it put up the Windows file selector dialog. If I press Cancel, it exits. I have to select a file and press OK in order for the Music Converter dialog to appear. Then I find I can drag/drop onto that dialog. I don't want to have to fiddle with the file selector dialog every time. Is there a command line switch to suppress it, so that starting Music Converter will take me directly to the Music Converter?

Administrator

No, you need at least one file to get the converter on the screen.

OK, please consider adding such an option a request, then. :komisch7:

Administrator

There is the wish list on the forum where we collate popularity for additions.

This is the "wishlist" forum, right? In any case, if "popularity" is the sole determining factor, I fear my wish will never be granted. At least searching and going back a couple of years page by page in the Music Converter forum turned up no one else asking about this. In light of this, the developer in me is finding it hard to resist thinking that the feature (command line switch to cause Music Converter not to present the file selector dialog on startup) couldn't possibly take more than 5 minutes or so to implement, and it wouldn't hurt anybody who doesn't know about it. :smile2:

Administrator

Sorry you are right, it is

Have a read through the wishlist, even 5 minute additions (more like 2-3 hours when cross tested against any bug regressions) - there is much to do.

As I understand it, this is basically a request for 'command-line' input; that is, I think that d&d and command-line input are the same process. If anyone knows that I am wrong please put me straight...

In that case, can I put in a really big plea for being able to specify one or more filenames on the command-line for dBpa Music Converter. If you read this Spoon (I know you are very good on keeping an eye on the forum), this would facilitate the integration of Music Converter with some of the better File Managers out there. I am thinking particularly of Directory Opus, but also donation-ware programs like Nexus File. Being able to select a bunch of, say, Wave files and call the Converter with a single key-stroke would be really neat.

I understand only too well the pressures on a developers schedule, and the fact that, although command-line input is fairly basic stuff and well provided for with most compilers, integration with the existing code still has to be thought through, and tested, and that takes a deal of time. But, it would be very, very nice to have integration with other software used all the time.

Just a plea for you to think about this Spoon,
    Regards,
    Arthur.

Actually, for Directory Opus the Music Converter is a right-click, a mouse movement and a left-click away, as DOpus doesn't mess with the Explorer right-click menu; and even in Nexus File there is only one extra select (mouse move + left-click). My apologies to Spoon (I have been looking over 6 different File Managers in the past few days and I am getting a touch confused), the MC, and tag-editor, integration with the Explorer shell was always a major plus-point for dBpa, and even with Nexus it is still only a few mouse clicks away.

However, drag-and-drop for batch would still be very nice to have, and single key-stroke integration with a file-manager would still be extra neat. So command-line input for both the Batch and shell Converters could be good.

Quote Originally Posted by arthurb View Post
    As I understand it, this is basically a request for 'command-line' input; that is, I think that d&d and command-line input are the same process. If anyone knows that I am wrong please put me straight...
    The drag & drop I'm talking about is already there in Music Converter. All I'm asking for is a simple command line switch to suppress the initial "choose file" dialog, so that the program would be able to open up directly to the Music Converter window, which would then serve as a drop target.

'The drag & drop I'm talking about is already there in Music Converter.'

Not in mine it isn't (Rel 13.5 on XP).

Quote Originally Posted by arthurb View Post
    Not in mine it isn't (Rel 13.5 on XP).
    New user at v 14 here...

CI want to request this in wish list, but cannot locate it

Cheers

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

This "drag & drop" to the Batch Converters (both Audio and Video Batch Converters) is a really big wish of mine also.

Then, I wouldn't have to worry so much about creating all my Symbolic Links !

Developers, please consider this. Afterall it has only been like... 1 whole decade since the OP first wished this!