title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Multi Core Support not working?

Unhappy Multi Core Support not working?

I'm running dMC release 13 with latest CODECs in 32 bit Vista Ultimate SP1. My PC has a Intel Core 2 Q6600 quad core CPU, yet when I convert a batch of files only one CPU is shown. I have converted FLAC to WAV, WAV to MP3, WAV to FLAC all with the same results. My system is definitely running in multi-core mode as task manager and device manager each show 4 CPUs.

Administrator

Re: Multi Core Support not working?

Check you have the reference version in dBpoweramp Configuration

I also have the same problem. Last night I installed the trial version, with used both processors.

I then purchased the software and after installing the registered version it now only works on one processor.

Please help.

Thanks.

Check dBpoweramp Configuration for what version you are using Reference or PowerPack. Only Reference supports multi-core.

Crap - I purchased powerpack, I didn't realize I needed reference to use multiple CPUs.

I only purchased it last night is there a way to upgrade my version from powerpack to reference?

Thanks for your help.

Yes. Go to the Registered Link retrieval, put in your order number, and you will see a link offering you to upgrade to Reference.

I have question in regards to the multi-core....I have a quad core processor and was using Ref12.4 in the past....When i ripped with 12.4 i would CPU 1, 2, 3, and sometimes 4 when ripping.

It seems like the version isn't is using all of the processors I only see CPU 1 & 2. Is there some setting I don't know about? Rips are also slower than the previous version, which makes me believe it's not using all the processors. I am using Vista 64 and my settings are the same.
    Last edited by playboysmoov; 07-17-2008 at 07:30 PM.

What format are you converting from and to? Are you using dMC r13 Reference?

I am converting from CD to MP3 using Lame VBR -0 Secure Rip. Yes, I just upgraded to ref13 yesterday. With these rip results I am thinking of going back version 12.4. I haven't changed any of the settings but I can definitely see a difference in rip times. With the same setup, DMC 12.4 would rip 2 to 3 tracks simultaneously and I could see CPU's 1,2,3 & sometimes 4 being utilized. With version 13 I'm only seeing two tracks at a time and CPU's 1 & 2 being utilized.

My system specs. CPU:Q9300, RAM: 8GB DDR2 PC6400, Vista x64.
    Last edited by playboysmoov; 07-18-2008 at 08:04 AM.

Administrator

It is likely that the CD drive is the slow part, not the encoding, or to put another way, if you had a dual core system it would keep up with CD ripping.

Most CD drives extract maximum of x20, Lame in R13 is much faster than R12 and is easily above x20, so that is why it is only using 2 cores.

Ok so to make sure that I understand what you are saying.... You are saying that now the program reads from the CD/DVD drive much faster than the previous version...that my CD drive is causing the bottleneck, even though its the same CD drive from before and the rips were faster, and also since I have a quad core system that it some how can't keep up with the cd ripping?

I thought the ref version was a multi-threaded app meaning more cores faster rips, which was the case when i went from powerpack to ref12.4.....I am having a hard time understanding how a system with the specs rips slower with a newer version of the software.

dBpoweramp Guru

Are you comparing burst-mode to burst-mode (or secure to secure)? Are you comparing the same codec(s) being used in the rip? etc.

That is, are you sure the setup is exactly the same in both environments you are comparing?

-brendan

You're mixing up what Spoon was saying. He was saying the LAME encoding is much faster in r13 than it was in r12, which means the CPU core is free to do the encoding on the next track instead of having to use a third/fourth core. The problem is that your CD drive can't keep up with how much faster LAME encodes.

Quote Originally Posted by LtData View Post
    Yes. Go to the Registered Link retrieval, put in your order number, and you will see a link offering you to upgrade to Reference.
    Thanks for the advice -- I just upgraded and am happy now. Great Software, keep it up!