title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: I need to be able to adjust drive offset manually

I need to be able to adjust drive offset manually

... at least, I think I do.

Here's the problem. My offset was set to +696 at the program's initial setup. Almost all the CDs I have ripped have been fine, but I have a CD (They Might Be Giants - Apollo 18) that when ripped, most of the individual track rips have an annoying 1/10 second or so of the next track at the very end of each rip. (It's hard to hear, but I also presume that the same 1/10 second of audio is cut off from the beginning of each next track.)

I went to Options and reset the sample offset to zero and ripped again. This helped a lot, but there's still a tiny bit of the next track's very beginning at the end of a few tracks. I would like to be able to manually set the offset value by experimentation, just for this one CD.

I can't get the UI to allow me to do this. Am I missing a way?

Administrator

Re: I need to be able to adjust drive offset manually

A 1/10 of a second if a massive offset as far as drives are concerned, even if you could manually set the offset it would most likely not work.

Well maybe it's less than 1/10 second. I guesstimated by ear. As I noted, changing the offset from +696 to 0 helped a lot; in fact it removed most of the problem. If I had to guess, I need an offset of "-200".

So, do I take it correctly that there's no way to manually set the offset?

dBpoweramp Guru

you could rip the whole image as one file, then split with foobar or cuetools using whatever offset you want/need/desire.

Thanks Teknojunky. I'm not famliar with cuetools, or with using foobar as anything other than a simple audio player. I can imagine, however, ripping the whole CD as one WAV file and then editing it manually into the proper segments with an audio editor such as Adobe Audition, which I have. But this approach would require me to
    1. Edit each track's beginning and end point, and save each separately
    2. Convert all the resulting tracks to MP3 (my chosen format)
    3. Manually name each file
    4. Manually insert all the ID tag information for each track

This CD has 38 tracks. The above is a large amount of work.

Would cuetools or foobar make this process significantly easier?

Thanks.

dBpoweramp Guru

yes