title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: "Album Artist" vs "AlbumArtist"

"Album Artist" vs "AlbumArtist"

I began ripping my CD collection in ALAC, and I've recently decided to switch to FLAC.

When I converted my existing files from ALAC to FLAC, dmc moved the values previously stored in "Album Artist" (with a space) to a new tag called "AlbumArtist" (no space).

Questions:

1. Is there any impact of this change? Do all renderers recognize both tags? I use FLAC for Linn DS and Sonos, and I'll convert the FLAC files to mp3 for use in iTunes. Or I may set up multi-encoding once I figure all this out...

2. When I look at the dynamic default folder naming in the dBpoweramp CD Ripper, it refers to "Album Artist." Does it work the same if I'm encoding to FLAC and using the AlbumArtist tag?

Thanks!!

Administrator

Re: "Album Artist" vs "AlbumArtist"

1) No, there is no standard in FLAC, so certain players read only with space, others without. dBpoweramp can read both and write both. Asset UPnP will read both ways also.

2) Yes

Thanks Spoon.

Maybe you know the answer for my specific setup. I'm playing music on both Linn DS and Sonos. Streaming is done by ReadyDLNA.

Do these devices read both with and without the space?

Thanks again for the great software and support.

Administrator

The Linn DS reads what ever your UPnP Server software is.

The Sonos reads AlbumArtrist AFAIK

Is there a way to specify whether dBpoweramp uses tags with whitespace or without? I recently noticed that several sort tags are written with a space, even when the corresponding tag is written without ("album artist sort" vs. "albumartist"), which is kinda annoying to correct.

Administrator

Yes dBpoweramp Configuration >> Codecs >> Adavanced

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Yes dBpoweramp Configuration >> Codecs >> Adavanced
    Well, I can tell dBpoweramp to use "AlbumArtist" or "Album Artist". What I cannot configure here is whether it uses "ComposerSort" or "Composer Sort" etc.

It would also be nice if we could add arbitrary conversions here.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by pputzer View Post
    Well, I can tell dBpoweramp to use "AlbumArtist" or "Album Artist". What I cannot configure here is whether it uses "ComposerSort" or "Composer Sort" etc.

It would also be nice if we could add arbitrary conversions here.
    Why not just set up all your conversions via the ID Tag Processing DSP?

Album Artist/AlbumArtist is fundamental, no need to clutter up the config with every other tag conversion when it can easily be done with the DSP.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Flowerday View Post
    Why not just set up all your conversions via the ID Tag Processing DSP?

Album Artist/AlbumArtist is fundamental, no need to clutter up the config with every other tag conversion when it can easily be done with the DSP.
    I'm still trying to get my head around the DSP effects processor. Can you provide an example demonstrating how to specify (for example) the ALBUMARTIST tag, or the "Album Artist" tag?