title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: "Error ripping to FLAC"

"Error ripping to FLAC"

Hi

This is my first post, so forgive me if I've omitted something that is necessary for analysis.

I have the latest dbpoweramp CD Ripper installed on a Windows 7 (x64) machine with all updates installed. The CD drive is a TSSTcorp CD/DVDW SH-S223C

I am having problems with ripping one CD. dbpoweramp gives me this message:

Error ripping to FLAC, 'Track 1' to 'C:\Users\chimpo\Music\Eluvium\Similes\Eluvium - 01 - Leaves Eclipse The Light Electronica.flac'
    Error unable to open File 'C:\Users\chimpo\Music\Eluvium\Similes\Eluvium - 01 - Leaves Eclipse The Light Electronica.flac' for writing. [clEncoder::BeginConversion]

I normally use a NAS to store and serve my music. I run an mp3 copy of my library (for the iPod) and a FLAC one (for the hi-fi). I was getting the error above when ripping this CD and assumed it was an access right issue on the NAS, which is why I changed the path settings to the C-drive. Same problem on the C-drive, however.

Even more bizarre is that the mp3 encoder worked fine to the NAS - it's just FLAC that is giving me this problem.

I then tried a different music CD. That worked fine, being ripped to the NAS in FLAC and mp3 formats. So, it's an intermittent error, but I don't know what the variable is - other than FLAC doesn't like Eluvium (the artist)!

Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Administrator

Re: "Error ripping to FLAC"

Security software blocking all FLAC writing?

Re: "Error ripping to FLAC"

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Security software blocking all FLAC writing?
    Hi Spoon

Thanks for getting back to me so promptly.

If it was a security software issue, I don't think the software would allow me to write any FLACs, would it?

Anyway, I use Microsoft Security Essentials for real-time protection. Just to check, I added dbpoweramp CoreConverter to the list of excluded processes from MSE - if it should be a different one, please let me know. No luck so far - Eluvium still won't rip into FLAC.

Re: "Error ripping to FLAC" - SOLVED

OK, for the benefit of anyone looking through, I've got to the bottom of this, and it was was a permissions error/anomaly on the NAS (different permissions at different levels of folder). Nothing to do with dbpoweramp whatsoever.

Resolved now and ripping as I type.

Thanks for advice and looking,
    C

Administrator

Re: "Error ripping to FLAC" - SOLVED

Why could not write to c:\ ?