title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

m4a/m4b: speed issues with tagging/reading tags/indexing w. Asset

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dvdr
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Sep 2008

m4a/m4b: speed issues with tagging/reading tags/indexing w. Asset

I am still having issues when tagging (or reading tags or indexing files with Asset) m4a/m4b files. I do have a lot of self-created audiobooks (encoded them with dbpoweramp from CDs as one file), the resulting files are in the region of 100 - 350 MB (duration up to 10 hours with 64kbs/low complexity).
    When editing a tag, it takes more than 1 Minute, until the tags are displayed, and even longer for the changed tags to be stored in the file. Using MP3 tag to do the same job, it is a matter of less than a second.
    When indexing my database with Asset, this results in a major "halt" during the scanning process: when Asset comes to indexing the folder, that holds my ~300 audiobooks, task manager shows 100% processor load and the scanning process takes forever, as you can imagine. flac, mp3 or wma-files (even the hour-long ones) are indexed with much less processor load and really fast.
    Could it be, that MP3-tag does look for the tags in a specific region and therefor is that fast, and that dbpoweramp/Asset needs to scan the whole file?
    Is there any way to improve scanning speed for those files?

I know, that you, Spoon, have looked into this a longer time ago and made some changes, but just now, encoding a new batch of audiobooks, it came to my attention, that there still is this real slow indexing/editing speed.
    You can imagine, that due to this - when Asset is reindexing etc. - the server itself sometimes gets sort of unusable until the scanning of audiobooks is done. Speeding that up and avoiding the high processor load would be a great help!

Thanks for considering to do some changes...
    Last edited by dvdr; 06-10-2010, 08:32 AM.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: m4a/m4b: speed issues with tagging/reading tags/indexing w. Asset

Please send me one such file (the one where it takes 1 minute to show the tags when edit tag).
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• dvdr
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Sep 2008

It's 250 MB - any idea, how I can get you access to that? Maybe, you PM me a street address, then I would be happy to burn a few of those files on a Data-DVD and just send it via postal mail....

Comment

• Porcus
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Feb 2007

Try one of those http file sharers, like Hotfile or Megaupload. (I don't think Rapidshare offers a large enough quota.) Then mail Spoon the URL.

Edit: Assuming that you have the bandwidth to upload it.

Comment

Working...

]]>