title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Batch converting Flac compression from 8 to 6

Batch converting Flac compression from 8 to 6

I'm trying to avoid overloading my Squeezebox touch. Most of my files were encoded at -8, but for the minimal extra space, I'd like them at -6. Is this possible, withough losing tag information, etc. I.E can I select the whole library and convert all the flacs it finds at -8 to -6 (Note, some are -6 already, will it just skip these, or will it try re-encoding them too?).

I'm assuming it will take a long long time...

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: Batch converting Flac compression from 8 to 6

Actually, what you want to do would result in larger files. -8 is the best compression currently available for FLAC. If you want the minimal extra space, you can convert the -6 FLACs to -8 . . . but I personally wouldn't bother with it.

Re: Batch converting Flac compression from 8 to 6

Sorry, I think you misunderstand.

The Squeezebox Touch isn't up to the challenge of decoding from -8, because the highly compressed files take more computing power to decode than does a -6.

The -6 are marginally larger files, therefore, to make life easier for my Squeezebox, I'll sacrifice a bit more disk space, for a slight increase in speed.