title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Best lossless codec?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Best lossless codec?

I have ripped all my cd's to mp3 using lame with the "extreme" setting and have been happy with the results. They take up about 75 gigs on my iPod classic.

I am now considering whether I should make archival rips to future proof my collection. My main criteria is that I be able to maintain all the tag info and album art. I also want to be able to do something equivalent to what mp3gain does to the audio levels of each track to eliminate clipping and also normalize levels with a replay gain type of adjustment. I don.t mind doing the audio level adjustments as a second step. I know this means reripping my entire collection.

My question is, looking to the future, should I rip them to Apple lossless, FLAC, Monkey's Audio, or some other format? I want to do this using dMC.

Administrator

Re: Best lossless codec?

I would personally use FLAC, other than that they are all quite similar.

dBpoweramp Guru

FLAC is your best option unless you are for some reason tied to apple. But even in my case, I rip to FLAC and create a mirror mp3 directory for use on my ipods/iphone. I use FLAC for archive and for playing on my home system squeezeboxes.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I'm kinda leaning toward FLAC. My remaining question would be how to apply a replay gain adjustment in FLAC. I want to eliminate clipping, and try and end up with a bit of a more normalized sound level.

My goal would then be that I could covert my archival files to mp3 or whatever codec becomes the standard in the future and retain my album art, tag info and volume normalization.

Thanks for your help.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jfkaess View Post
    I'm kinda leaning toward FLAC. My remaining question would be how to apply a replay gain adjustment in FLAC. I want to eliminate clipping, and try and end up with a bit of a more normalized sound level.

My goal would then be that I could covert my archival files to mp3 or whatever codec becomes the standard in the future and retain my album art, tag info and volume normalization.

Thanks for your help.
    works perfectly with FLAC. I use the ReplayGain DSP when I'm ripping to FLAC with dbpoweramp. It creates album level and track level tags that can be used by many players in volume levelling.

If you have a large capacity ipod, you could use ALAC (Apple Lossless Audio Codec) which will import direct to itunes without conversion and is ipod compatable.