title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central
 
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Delayed encoding (multi-core)

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    15

    Delayed encoding (multi-core)

    I had been using version 13.4ref prior to purchasing 13.5ref. I was amazed at how quickly 13.4 ripped and encoded, which was one of the reasons for the purchase.

    With 13.5, I've noticed that often, not always, the encoding % stays at zero, sometimes for all 4 cores, for quite a while before starting to encode. Sometimes it doesn't even use multiple cores, though it has assigned a core to each of 4 files.

    Could this be a bad install? Should I wipe everything and start over?

    Note, that I looked at the usage factor for the cpu cores, and there is almost nothing else running to be using up all the processing capacity.

  2. #2
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    40,614

    Re: Delayed encoding (multi-core)

    Is this for converting or cd ripping?

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    15

    Re: Delayed encoding (multi-core)

    Sorry, for CD Ripper.

  4. #4
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    40,614

    Re: Delayed encoding (multi-core)

    Try ripping to test conversion, does it stick at 0% also?

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    15

    Re: Delayed encoding (multi-core)

    Sorry, I don't understand. Rip to wav and then convert to flac after with converter?

    Well, I wiped the install clean and started over from scratch. Still no change.

    I've been watching it for several discs. It took 15 minutes to rip Forrest Gump disc 2. It rips fine, and each track gets assigned a cpu core, ie. CPU1, CPU2, etc. It'll just sit there and do nothing for minutes at a time, and then one, maybe two tracks will start encoding.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    15

    Re: Delayed encoding (multi-core)

    I encoded flac to flac, using dmc, and it works properly (and really fast). I'm guessing this is a problem in CD-ripper somehow.

  7. #7
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    40,614

    Re: Delayed encoding (multi-core)

    Set the encoder as 'Test Conversion' so it is not actually encoding, rather ripping only,

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    15

    Re: Delayed encoding (multi-core)

    I'll give it a try.

    An interesting thing I just noticed - when I have EAC open at the same time, it seems to operate as expected.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    15

    Re: Delayed encoding (multi-core)

    Never mind about EAC, it's not that.

    It only happens when I have the HDCD dsp running. I've removed it from the list.

    Is there any way to tell if cd-ripper is actually using it. It would be nice to just leave it on all the time, but I won't be if it keeps impacting performance like this.

  10. #10
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    40,614

    Re: Delayed encoding (multi-core)

    HDCD has to write out the whole audio file to a temp file, even if HDCD is not being used, hence why it might stick at 0%

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    15

    Re: Delayed encoding (multi-core)

    Is there no way to detect this, and prevent the wasted time? I know there aren't that many CD's encoded in 20-bit, but still, sometimes they don't exactly advertise it, and I'd like to rip them in the best way possible. Feature request?

    I suppose I could listen to them all in foobar and look for the hdcd logo to pop up.
    Last edited by crazyj; 06-07-2010 at 02:22 PM.

  12. #12
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    40,614

    Re: Delayed encoding (multi-core)

    Potentially a future update would skip this delay.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    9

    Re: Delayed encoding (multi-core)

    Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Set the encoder as 'Test Conversion' so it is not actually encoding, rather ripping only,

    I seem to have a similar issue. I've just installed win7 ultimate 64 bit (clean installation on new hd) and getting all my apps up to date. I initially wondered if it was an access rights issue since I'm used to XP so I logged into the forum to look around.

    I'm using R13.5 registered on a dual core system. Even when ripping to the Test Conversion, both CPUs are stuck encoding at 0%. I don't have any DSPs configured.

    In the end I end up just killing the CD Ripper after around 15 minutes of nothing happening.

    I've just tried using the Music Converter and that is also hanging at 0% ....

    Configuration shows all codecs installed and up to date.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •