title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Teac drive-"Best"?

Teac drive-"Best"?

First post asking for help finding a drive to use for ripping. I have ripped about 15 albums so far using the internal drive on my computer, a TSST Sh-S223C. I started getting a fair number of "rerip", insecure and secure but not Accurate CD outcomes. Switched to an external ASUS drive and got somewhat better results, e.g. AccurateCD outcomes for only "secure" or inaccurate rips from the TSST. The ASUS is going back to another system so I am looking for the "best" drive for ripping.
    I read that the Teac DW-224SL-R was choisen for the RipNAS and had the best reults of the drives tested. Two questions please. Is this drive still considered the "best" or one of the best (or should I look for another)and where can I purchase it. No luck with just a standard search. I would like to go with an external drive if possible.
    Thanks.
    Bill

Administrator

Re: Teac drive-"Best"?

That Teac drive went EOL, but you might be able to pick up up from somewhere (also it was reported there were cheap Chinese knock off's of the drive).

Thanks so much.
    Is there another external drive with which you have had good results?

Administrator

I have not tested any recently.

I am interested in recommendations for a good internal optical drive which is available in England.
    The TEAC DW-224SL-R only appears to be available by the containerload and comments on good drives appear to stop by about 2005.
    These drives (from 2005) are no longer available.
    Has drive technology advanced to the point where features such as "C2 Error Pointers" and Overread are no longer an issue?
    Thanks for y our time Nick

Administrator

The advise I give if you have having difficulty in choosing 'the best drive' buy 2x different drives (cheap ones, which support c2). All drives can rip bit perfect, but for those discs one of the drives struggle with, you can try the other drive (even the famed Plextor PX-230A stuggles on occasional discs which other drives sail through).