title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Stereo to 5.1/7.1 Upconversion and (multichannel/lossless) MP3 support

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Question Stereo to 5.1/7.1 Upconversion and (multichannel/lossless) MP3 support

Is there a codec (or similar) that I could use to convert standard stereo audio into multichannel (5.1)?

I was thinking of something similar to what the AC3-Filter codec does, pass stereo audio through a matric thus creating a multichannel audio track, and then the (multichannel compatible) output codec (WMA/AAC) sees a 5.1 audio input and outputs it as ifit were originally a 5.1 audio file.

I’m aware that this isn’t true multichannel audio.

As AC3-Filter is a (supposedly) a DirectShow filter, I suspect it may work with dBpowerAmp’s DirectShow codec? Is this correct? If so, how would I set-it up to work/test?

Also, are there any plans for mp3SX/mp3Surround/mp3HD support in future?

I know these are fairly advanced/professional features, so will understand if they’re only possible in the Reference version of dBpoweramp Music Converter, but would really like it (the 2.0 to 5.1/7.1 up converting being more important).

Any help/advise is greatly appreciated

Thanks

Administrator

Re: Stereo to 5.1/7.1 Upconversion and (multichannel/lossless) MP3 support

You can use the DSP effects 'Channel Count' and Channel mapper to create your own 5.1, but I am not sure the effect would be all that great.