title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

View Poll Results: Which Audio Format does your Collection Use?

Voters
1149. You may not vote on this poll
  • Advanced Audio Coding (aac)

200 17.41%
  • Lossless (Wave, Monkeys Audio, FLAC, Shorten...)

394 34.29%
  • Mp3 (also mp2)

598 52.05%
  • Mp3PRO

69 6.01%
  • MPC

95 8.27%
  • Ogg Vorbis

254 22.11%
  • Window Media Audio (WMA)

186 16.19%
  • Real Audio

34 2.96%
  • VQF

14 1.22%
  • Other

54 4.70%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Audio Format Poll

Re: Audio Format Poll

I have made changes to my collection several times, used monkies, Ogg, mp3 etc, although I found Monkies, a good codec, like ogg, it has little support or usage elswhere in the world... mp3 tho being the most used, is locked at 16 bit. so MP4 it is for me now as it has better support in commercial hardware, good quality and file size.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

MP3

For Fast Fraunhoffer (Music Match 4.x and above) I do 160kbps
    For Lame (audio grabber, dbpa), I do 192kbps

With headphones on I cannot tell much diff between the FF at 160 and the Lame at 192.

dBpoweramp Guru

This thread keeps popping up as new, even though no new posts are showing up.

Is this because it is a poll, and folks (or webspiders?) keep submitting responses?

-brendan

Its because people keep voting in the poll

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by LtData
    Its because people keep voting in the poll
    Ok then. Well, I figure I should put something smart, then, at the end of the thread while I can.

Hey you! Yeah you! What are you doing at the keyboard? Go outside! Have fun!

-brendan

• I primarily rip to .APE. Monkeys Audio (.APE) is slightly better than FLAC according to tests I ran over a year ago. See also the table at http://www.monkeysaudio.com/comparison.html for a comparison of the performance of most of the popular lossless compressors.
    • Lossless compression allows for conversion to a lossy format later should I need to download to a player such as the IPod.
    • With the low cost of large hard drives these days, space isn't an issue, nor is the cost of a backup drive. A 320 GB hard drive can store a little over 8000 30-Mbyte APE files. Classical music typically rips with an average compression ratio of 2.2:1. Rock, pop and folk music usually around 1.5:1. Anyone who rips a lot of music should have at least two backups and this is easy to do now with the large and cheap drives.
    • I do a fair amount of wave editing of tracks I've ripped, often sometime after I've ripped them. This necessitates a lossless compression. I'm always on the hunt for beautiful and prefessionally recorded music and I rarely rip entire CD's, only tracks I like.
    • Music files that are poorly recorded (ie, noisy, contain distortion, poor miking, etc) or one's that interest me only a little I rip to m4a Nero (AAC) or mp3.