title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Audio Format Poll

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hans-j�rgen
    • Sep 2004

Re: Audio Format Poll

Originally posted by ChristinaS
    The old turntable, while it can be plugged into the new amplifier, sounds terrible, as they are not really compatible.
    It seems that you only need a separate phono pre-amp for your new amplifier which are available from different manufacturers at a wide price range.

I won't buy a new turntable for that, I am not that desperate. Especially since most everything I wanted to salvage off of my old vinyls is available on remastered cd's anyway. :D For the most part it's even cheaper than new current releases, and it beats any ability and patience I may have to transfer everything myself. But that's just me :D
    Right, I'm in a similar situation, but for some vinyls I might do it at some time, because they don't exist as an exact CD replica, e.g. the old ZZ Top albums.

Comment

• Razgo
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

there are quite a few ZZ track/albums here: http://catalog.allofmp3.com/mcatalog.shtml?group=61

Comment

• hans-j�rgen
        • Sep 2004

Thanks for the link, but the only available "old album" there would be the first one, and I doubt that someone actually uploaded a lossless conversion of the original vinyl version. The problem with the first six ZZ Top albums is that they were republished in the CD Sixpack which was heavily remastered by the producer who thought this was a good idea back then. The 1:1 transfer from the original master tapes was done in 2004 with another 4-CD Box, but not completely. :(

Comment

• Razgo
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

yes there is no wav file available for download. pick a track and i will grab it and we can see how good it is or isn't. i have an account there and it would only cost me something like 5 cents for the track

Comment

• hans-j�rgen
            • Sep 2004

Thanks Razgo for your kind offer, but I'm pretty sure the available "Rio Grande Mud" album on Allofmp3.com is a plain CD rip either from the Sixpack or the identical single CD which had been published shortly after the Sixpack release (like the other five in that box, too).

To add something on-topic to this poll , I voted for AAC (of course) and lossless, too, because I stored some demo recordings of my band in APE format.

Comment

• ChristinaS
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Apr 2004

Oh, oh! You've just lost your umlaut in the conversion! :D

Comment

• hans-j�rgen
                • Sep 2004

Yes, I've noticed that, too. This might become a problem when the forum cookie expires and I have to login again, at least this happened to me over at 3ivx.com.

Comment

• Razgo
                  Administrator
                  • Apr 2002

what is the correct letters that should be there? i will see if i can fix it.

Comment

• Razgo
                    Administrator
                    • Apr 2002

nevermind, i just realised this is all over the german and french forum also.

Comment

• DJFX

For archiving I use Monkeys Audio on Normal setting, but for regular day to day listening I use MP3s done with Lame 3.96.1 on Alt Preset Standard.
                      This way I have ready MP3s for trading with friends and if someone needs different format, or higher quality, I can just convert off the archive and don't have to search for that specific CD. Plus if anything happens to my MP3s, and I did loose the HD with all my movies and music once before, I don't have reripp all CD's, just do a bulk conversion.

Comment

• Larry!
                        • May 2002

Originally posted by Unregistered
                        My major gripe about all these formats, is that my Windows XP doesn't recognize most of them as being audio files, and so the ID tag info doesn't show up in explorer. (or only the title)
                        Here's my salvation of this: In winexplorer go to Tools>Folder Options>File Types. Press "New" button. add your extension, e.g., ogg or aac or mp4 or else =). Optional: Press "advanced" and choose what kind of file it is (windows media audio/video, etc). Now just check, M$ now goes familiar with not "original" file extensions! =)
                        Last edited by Larry!; 10-28-2004, 11:07 AM.

Comment

• Spoon
                          Administrator
                          • Apr 2002

Or use dMC R11 to add dBpowerAMPs columns in explorer, these support any audio file dbpoweramp knows about.
                          Spoon
                          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• neilthecellist
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Dec 2004

Re: MP3 is best compromise

Ogg Vorbis , mp3, and APE.

Comment

• Smoggy
                              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                              • Feb 2005

So, OGG Vorbis isn't lossles?

Comment

• LtData
                                dBpoweramp Guru
                                • May 2004

No. Ogg is lossy just like mp3, wma, Musepack, and various other formats. More information about different audio formats is here: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/spoons-audio-guide.htm

Comment

Working...

]]>