title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Audio Format Poll

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unregistered

I rip exclusively to monkeys cause quality is # 1 with me,but i have some mp3 and some ogg.

Whats the origin of .ape anyway,is that a spoon creation?

Comment

• Razgo
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

http://www.monkeysaudio.com/index.html :happy:

Comment

• heinhuiz
        • May 2003

I'm blessed with an audio-challenge (I'm a bit deaf ) so I'm sticking with (and converting every file I find to) MP3, which is still - and probably will be - the best supported format...

Comment

• Razgo
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

yes mp3 is prbably still the most widely supported format. however that will/is slowly changing.

what is being a bit deaf got to do with mp3's?

Comment

• heinhuiz
            • May 2003

Quantity over quality :p

(MP3's can play in my car if I want to, ogg's won't.)

Comment

• Razgo
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

yeh it's a shame more hardware support isn't there yet for OGG.

but if you ever want to reach the "G" Spot in OGG do a convert to ogg q-6 / 192/kbps Variable Bitrate. near cd quality perfection :p

Comment

• heinhuiz
                • May 2003

Well, my car CD-player does actually play CD's too

Comment

• bicho_en_canada
                  • Jun 2003

any tried soulseek lately?

Comment

• Avenging Angel

well i use all the types including

.asf , but wma for my player but winamp plays every format there is and i guess i so used to it that i will never change peace to yous AA

Comment

• Unregistered

I've tried most of them. Even ones not supported by DMC. I'm not trying to have a uniform collection, though. It would take too much time. In theory I like Ogg the best because it is truly a free, open architecture format. Other formats might also be free, but I don't know about it.

It isn't like people are going to come along and try to charge you money for your Mp3s (at least I hope not) but the idea of a truly non comercial format is appealing. Like the DMC itself

Still, I use flac, mpc, shn, ogg, ape, mp3 (lame, frauenhoffer, and pro), Mp2 & 4, Wma 9 (though I hate to admit it), wvc, and more.

My major gripe about all these formats, is that my Windows XP doesn't recognize most of them as being audio files, and so the ID tag info doesn't show up in explorer. (or only the title)

Comparing audio quality is difficult, because they are always releasing new codecs, and to compare someone's old version with the latest of another kind is useless.

Comment

• Razgo
                        Administrator
                        • Apr 2002

My major gripe about all these formats, is that my Windows XP doesn't recognize most of them as being audio files, and so the ID tag info doesn't show up in explorer. (or only the title)
                        i don't run XP but i would check with Spoon on this one, as it should all work fine in that area.

Comment

• Spoon
                          Administrator
                          • Apr 2002

Not within explorers file list, that would need special coding which is on my todo list...
                          Spoon
                          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• JVILLAS
                            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                            • Oct 2002

I've been using Monkeys for classical and Jazz, for lossy MPC,for portable mp3 at 128kps on nomad llc, and wave on nomad 10g., holds about 150 songs.

Comment

• Unregistered

Re: Audio Format Poll

Originally posted by Lord Mortus
                              First of all I would like to say hi.. and I love the dBpower stuff

As to the poll.. my collection is exclusively mp3. Can someone tell me what the qualitiy difference is between mp3 and ogg? I don't have any experience in ogg format, but if it's better I'll see about converting my 1000's of songs over

It's mainly opinion, but the first time I ever listened to an ogg rip right after hearing the same song ripped to mp3... it really caught my attention. I looked up at my speakers and started thinking I had a bad wire connection before. The dynamic range was much better with ogg. I think the technical phrase would be 'better psychoacoustcal modeling'. mp3's sound slightly muddy to me while ogg files sound more crisp. When you say "convert to .ogg", I hope you mean "rip to ogg". Converting between lossy formats should only be done as a last resort. Converting from .mp3 to .ogg can add noises or "artifacts' that you don't want.

If you have the storage space and you want to archive your sound collection permanently, you should really rip to a lossless format. I trust .flac for longevity and offering future hardware support. Spoon has always promoted .ape and I'm sure it is a slightly better performer, but I think .flac will be better accepted by the general public. If you rip to lossless, then you can make quick copies to whatever lossy format you want for portable devices.

I usually rip all my new cd's to .ogg. I don't really download music off the web. My computer output goes to my home sound system, so I have a jukebox of several thousand songs available at the click of a mouse.

Mti

Comment

• Unregistered

Re: Audio Format Poll

Originally posted by Unregistered

I like the fact that Microsoft doesn't know what a file type is. If I know what it is and I have a stand-alone application that knows what it is, I'm very happy.

Mti

Comment

Working...

]]>