title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

View Poll Results: Which Audio Format does your Collection Use?

Voters
1149. You may not vote on this poll
  • Advanced Audio Coding (aac)

200 17.41%
  • Lossless (Wave, Monkeys Audio, FLAC, Shorten...)

394 34.29%
  • Mp3 (also mp2)

598 52.05%
  • Mp3PRO

69 6.01%
  • MPC

95 8.27%
  • Ogg Vorbis

254 22.11%
  • Window Media Audio (WMA)

186 16.19%
  • Real Audio

34 2.96%
  • VQF

14 1.22%
  • Other

54 4.70%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Audio Format Poll

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Administrator

Question Audio Format Poll

Which Audio Format does your Collection Use?

dBpoweramp Guru
    when i do any ripping it is typically in ogg format. but any songs or samples i download are typically in mp3 format.

so I have both.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    hehe WMA has a zero :happy:

I'll be re-ripping my whole collection over to Ogg Vorbis once my iRriver supports it. (If :confused: )

Of course, I'll always have mp3s hiding in some folder on my HDD from some download. If only you could download Ogg Vorbis files :cry:
    Last edited by MODatic; 06-09-2002 at 07:51 AM.

Vorbis / MP3 / Shorten

I rip tons of Ogg Vorbis, download pounds of MP3, and trade a few Shorten.

Shorten is increasingly popular in groups I trade in. I would like Illustrate to release a Shorten codec if it hasn't already (I'll check after this is posted). It would be expecially helpful if there were an easy to use codec that supported Shorten version 3.x (which supports "seek"), along with version 2.3a (last "official" version).
    http://shnutils.etree.org/shorten

Es.
    Last edited by edgarde; 06-11-2002 at 11:47 AM.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    I think Spoon intends to add a Shorten codec sometime in the near future. Keep your eyes peeled

Unregistered

Question Re: Audio Format Poll

Quote Originally Posted by totalXSive
    I think Spoon intends to add a Shorten codec sometime in the near future. Keep your eyes peeled
    But do you know anything about VVS?
    Got a disc and I was trying to convert it to MP3 of some kind but can't find a decoder! the only site which has one won't load the page!!!

Any help gratefully appreciated!

Paul

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: Audio Format Poll

Hi, all I could find out about .vvs is a site called file hungry.com, it has a converter available, but is shareware. You might want to give it a look. At least its a place to start. good luck.

Re: Audio Format Poll

I use 64/44/stereo mp3pro for storage,because that's what I stream in thru Live365. Besides,I have only a 20gb HD ("only" 20gb...two years ago that was Sooooo big).
    Love & Peace,Clarence

I use Monkeys audio (for archival purposes on a seperate computer, I tried compared shorten and Monkeys both at max lossless compression and Monkeys came out with smaller file sizes) and MPC for all my other computers and for general listening. I use Vorbis on my iBook because I can't find a player for Mac OS 9 or Mac OS X that will play MPC and vorbis is better than MP3 by a long shot but MPC, IMO, is better than vorbis.

I tend to mix mp3 and Monkeys (as some may remember from this post), as I download mp3 but rip monkeys.

Vorbis all the way...

mp3,most likely. not that i really love it,but it has good enough
    quality with certain bitrate,192kb/s for instance. though,if i need to record it without compression (for some reason),i`m just using a wav format. an advantage is that most progs has familiarity with those formats. it could change,but for now...:happy:

Unregistered
    I still use MP3, though I would love it if most software/hardware made the switch to OGG. Until that happens, I'll stick with MP3 for a couple of reasons:

-My MP3 player's software doesn't support it (OpenMG)
    -You can't download many OGG files from P2P networks
    -Getting out all of my CD's and re-ripping them to OGG would be time consuming, and maybe not worth the effort yet (I could transcode, but I don't want to).

That being said, if OGG becomes more standarized, I wouldn't mind the switch.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    P2P support for Ogg is increasing - the latest WinMX uses it, and apparently KaZaA also supports it, though I wouldn't know since I'd never let such a scummy piece of software on my hard drive.

In fact, one of the few major programs not to support it is Nero Burning ROM, which is why I'm keen to try dBpowerAMP Audio CD Writer .

Unregistered
    Amen to that