title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Audio Format Poll

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Audio Format Poll

Which Audio Format does your Collection Use?
    Advanced Audio Coding (aac)
    10.54%
    Lossless (Wave, Monkeys Audio, FLAC, Shorten...)
    20.76%
    Mp3 (also mp2)
    31.51%
    Mp3PRO
    3.64%
    MPC
    5.01%
    Ogg Vorbis
    13.38%
    Window Media Audio (WMA)
    9.80%
    Real Audio
    1.79%
    VQF
    0.74%
    Other
    2.85%
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com
  • Razgo
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

when i do any ripping it is typically in ogg format. but any songs or samples i download are typically in mp3 format.

so I have both.

Comment

• MODatic
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Apr 2002

hehe WMA has a zero :happy:

I'll be re-ripping my whole collection over to Ogg Vorbis once my iRriver supports it. (If :confused: )

Of course, I'll always have mp3s hiding in some folder on my HDD from some download. If only you could download Ogg Vorbis files :cry:
      Last edited by MODatic; 06-09-2002, 11:51 AM.

Comment

• edgarde
        • Jun 2002

Vorbis / MP3 / Shorten

I rip tons of Ogg Vorbis, download pounds of MP3, and trade a few Shorten.

Shorten is increasingly popular in groups I trade in. I would like Illustrate to release a Shorten codec if it hasn't already (I'll check after this is posted). It would be expecially helpful if there were an easy to use codec that supported Shorten version 3.x (which supports "seek"), along with version 2.3a (last "official" version).

Es.
        Last edited by edgarde; 06-11-2002, 03:47 PM.

Comment

• totalXSive
          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
          • Apr 2002

I think Spoon intends to add a Shorten codec sometime in the near future. Keep your eyes peeled

Comment

• MPC Fanatic
            • Jun 2002

I use Monkeys audio (for archival purposes on a seperate computer, I tried compared shorten and Monkeys both at max lossless compression and Monkeys came out with smaller file sizes) and MPC for all my other computers and for general listening. I use Vorbis on my iBook because I can't find a player for Mac OS 9 or Mac OS X that will play MPC and vorbis is better than MP3 by a long shot but MPC, IMO, is better than vorbis.

Comment

• hiperpinguino
              • May 2002

I tend to mix mp3 and Monkeys (as some may remember from this post), as I download mp3 but rip monkeys.

Comment

• MadiZone
                • Aug 2002

Vorbis all the way...

Comment

• Larry!
                  • May 2002

mp3,most likely. not that i really love it,but it has good enough
                  quality with certain bitrate,192kb/s for instance. though,if i need to record it without compression (for some reason),i`m just using a wav format. an advantage is that most progs has familiarity with those formats. it could change,but for now...:happy:

Comment

• Unregistered

I still use MP3, though I would love it if most software/hardware made the switch to OGG. Until that happens, I'll stick with MP3 for a couple of reasons:

-My MP3 player's software doesn't support it (OpenMG)
                    -You can't download many OGG files from P2P networks
                    -Getting out all of my CD's and re-ripping them to OGG would be time consuming, and maybe not worth the effort yet (I could transcode, but I don't want to).

That being said, if OGG becomes more standarized, I wouldn't mind the switch.

Comment

• totalXSive
                      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                      • Apr 2002

P2P support for Ogg is increasing - the latest WinMX uses it, and apparently KaZaA also supports it, though I wouldn't know since I'd never let such a scummy piece of software on my hard drive.

In fact, one of the few major programs not to support it is Nero Burning ROM, which is why I'm keen to try dBpowerAMP Audio CD Writer .

Comment

• Unregistered

Amen to that

Comment

• Unregistered

Winmx also has good support for MPC too, me and a few guys share their entire collection on it, you have to choose the 'other audio format' tho,for some weird reason.

Comment

• Lord Mortus
                            • Dec 2002

First of all I would like to say hi.. and I love the dBpower stuff

As to the poll.. my collection is exclusively mp3. Can someone tell me what the qualitiy difference is between mp3 and ogg? I don't have any experience in ogg format, but if it's better I'll see about converting my 1000's of songs over

Comment

• damon
                              • May 2003

MP3 is best compromise

I've just started ripping my CD collection, mainly to cut compressed CDs to play in my iRiver, so MP3 works for me. Maximum compatibility is the main driver.

I figure my next car system will be MP3 compatible too so I won't need to buy a stacker.

At 192kbps the sound quality is fine, and compression is still good enough to get 10 or so albums per disk.

One of the lossless formats would obviously be superior to keep as a master copy, and convert to MP3 only when writing to CDs, but the downside is I'd have to fork out the readies for heaps more hard drive space to keep it all on-line.

I'm not into swapping / downloading - my internet connection is still dial-up.

Comment

Working...

]]>