title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Error "unable to open file"

Error "unable to open file"

I am trying to convert part of my music collection from FLAC to MP3 V0 using the batch converter. Everything went well except for 56 files where it gave the error "unable to open file" and then the file location. This is the first time I have had problems with dBpoweramp, help please! Thanks!

Administrator

Re: Error "unable to open file"

Please post the full error line.

Error converting to mp3 (Lame), 'C:\Users\Derek\Music\Vladimir Horowitz - The Complete Original Jacket Collection\Vladimir Horowitz [2009 CD13] Beethoven - Piano Concerto No.5, Op.73\02. Adagio un poco mosso.flac' to 'C:\Users\Derek\Music\Walkman\Vladimir Horowitz - The Complete Original Jacket Collection\Users\Derek\Music\Vladimir Horowitz - The Complete Original Jacket Collection\Vladimir Horowitz [2009 CD13] Beethoven - Piano Concerto No.5, \02. Adagio un poco mosso.mp3'
    Error unable to open File 'C:\Users\Derek\Music\Walkman\Vladimir Horowitz - The Complete Original Jacket Collection\Users\Derek\Music\Vladimir Horowitz - The Complete Original Jacket Collection\Vladimir Horowitz [2009 CD13] Beethoven - Piano Concerto No.5, \02. Adagio un poco mosso.mp3' for writing. [clEncoder::BeginConversion]

Administrator

The issue is that you have added to the path \Walkman\

but this takes the filename length over 255 so the program shortens the last folder but seems to get it wrong (leaves a last space which is not allowed on windows).

Thanks so much!

I don't think that this is the problem because my file names are not that long:

Error converting to Apple Lossless, 'E:\Music\Conversion\01-veil_of_maya-20200.flac' to 'E:\Music\Conversion\01-veil_of_maya-20200.m4a'
    Error unable to open File 'E:\Music\Conversion\01-veil_of_maya-20200.m4a' for writing. [clEncoder::BeginConversion]

Error converting to Apple Lossless, 'E:\Music\Conversion\02-veil_of_maya-divide_paths.flac' to 'E:\Music\Conversion\02-veil_of_maya-divide_paths.m4a'
    Error unable to open File 'E:\Music\Conversion\02-veil_of_maya-divide_paths.m4a' for writing. [clEncoder::BeginConversion]

Error converting to Apple Lossless, 'E:\Music\Conversion\03-veil_of_maya-punisher.flac' to 'E:\Music\Conversion\03-veil_of_maya-punisher.m4a'
    Error unable to open File 'E:\Music\Conversion\03-veil_of_maya-punisher.m4a' for writing. [clEncoder::BeginConversion]

Error converting to Apple Lossless, 'E:\Music\Conversion\04-veil_of_maya-winter_is_coming_soon.flac' to 'E:\Music\Conversion\04-veil_of_maya-winter_is_coming_soon.m4a'
    Error unable to open File 'E:\Music\Conversion\04-veil_of_maya-winter_is_coming_soon.m4a' for writing. [clEncoder::BeginConversion]

Error converting to Apple Lossless, 'E:\Music\Conversion\05-veil_of_maya-the_glass_slide.flac' to 'E:\Music\Conversion\05-veil_of_maya-the_glass_slide.m4a'
    Error unable to open File 'E:\Music\Conversion\05-veil_of_maya-the_glass_slide.m4a' for writing. [clEncoder::BeginConversion]

Error converting to Apple Lossless, 'E:\Music\Conversion\06-veil_of_maya-enter_my_dreams.flac' to 'E:\Music\Conversion\06-veil_of_maya-enter_my_dreams.m4a'
    Error unable to open File 'E:\Music\Conversion\06-veil_of_maya-enter_my_dreams.m4a' for writing. [clEncoder::BeginConversion]

Error converting to Apple Lossless, 'E:\Music\Conversion\07-veil_of_maya-numerical_scheme.flac' to 'E:\Music\Conversion\07-veil_of_maya-numerical_scheme.m4a'
    Error unable to open File 'E:\Music\Conversion\07-veil_of_maya-numerical_scheme.m4a' for writing. [clEncoder::BeginConversion]

Error converting to Apple Lossless, 'E:\Music\Conversion\08-veil_of_maya-vicious_circles.flac' to 'E:\Music\Conversion\08-veil_of_maya-vicious_circles.m4a'
    Error unable to open File 'E:\Music\Conversion\08-veil_of_maya-vicious_circles.m4a' for writing. [clEncoder::BeginConversion]

Error converting to Apple Lossless, 'E:\Music\Conversion\09-veil_of_maya-eclipse.flac' to 'E:\Music\Conversion\09-veil_of_maya-eclipse.m4a'
    Error unable to open File 'E:\Music\Conversion\09-veil_of_maya-eclipse.m4a' for writing. [clEncoder::BeginConversion]

Error converting to Apple Lossless, 'E:\Music\Conversion\10-veil_of_maya-with_passion_and_power.flac' to 'E:\Music\Conversion\10-veil_of_maya-with_passion_and_power.m4a'
    Error unable to open File 'E:\Music\Conversion\10-veil_of_maya-with_passion_and_power.m4a' for writing. [clEncoder::BeginConversion]

Administrator

What is drive E? because it looks like dBpoweramp does not have permission to write to it.

Yes, I realized when I went to change tag info via iTunes that my new install of Windows did not give write or modify permission. Thank you.

Administrator

Another converter would not be able to access a file access which has had its access revoked...

Hi, I'm having a similar problem, trying to convert FLAC files to mp3, and write the mp3 files to my Music library on my C: drive. I've never run into this problem although I've converted lots of FLAC files to mp3.

Here's the error message:
    Error converting to mp3 (Lame), 'C:\Users\Willie\Downloads\Jim O'Rourke - Steamroom 40\Jim O'Rourke - Steamroom 40 - 01 Improper Release.flac' to 'C:\Users\Willie\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\Jim O'Rourke\Steamroom 40\01-Improper Release.mp3'
    Error unable to open File 'C:\Users\Willie\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\Jim O'Rourke\Steamroom 40\01-Improper Release.mp3' for writing. [clEncoder::BeginConversion]

I was able to convert the files when I changed the destination in the Batch Converter to C: instead of my Music Library. I could then copy and paste the mp3 files to my Music Library. Maybe this is due to recent changes made by Windows 10 upgrades and patches?

Administrator

Perhaps, see if controlled folder access is enabled, if it is you have to add the programs listed here:

https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthr...nknown-Windows

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Perhaps, see if controlled folder access is enabled, if it is you have to add the programs listed here:

https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthr...nknown-Windows
    Spoon, many thanks. Controlled folder access is enabled, so I added the programs listed. It looks like that did the trick. I've now been able to convert an album to mp3 with the destination in my Music Library.