title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Crashes after approx. 2900 files

Crashes after approx. 2900 files

Hello,

I've been using Batch Converter for long time without any issues. I upgraded my home PC to iCore7 860, 4GB RAM, W7-64bit.

I'm using following setup:
    - MusicConverter R13.4 Reference
    - MultiEncoder (v3 probably) with MultiCPU check
    - DSP Effect: Multi-CPU Force (4cores Non-ally)
    - source is ALAC on mapped network disk
    - target on local drive: Lame VBR 170kbit and AAC (Nero 1.5.1) VBR 170kbit

Conversion crashed several time (each trial) after approx 2900 files finished. It's not because some specific file, because I unmarked finished and continued with my collection and it crash again after 2900 files finished. C++ Library crashed with message "Unexpected termination ...". I'll create screenshot and paste it here somehow.

Re: Crashes after approx. 2900 files

Administrator

Very odd, we have never seen this sort of crash before. It would help if it showed the Program: ...

I've also seen this on my machine.

Administrator

What are the specs of your machine?

I'm having a slightly similar problem, so I'll go ahead and post it in this thread. I'm running R13.3 on a Lenovo T400 with Win7 Prof. 64 bit. I just installed dBpoweramp today and my computer has crashed twice while encoding, never crashed before at all. Previously, I had a 32 bit version of the same OS installed and I never had any problems whatsoever, letting the software run days at a time.

btw, what's especially strange about these crashes is that they seem to shut my system completely down. It's not possible to turn the computer back on again without removing the battery for a couple of minutes. since i've never had any crashes at all since installing the 64 bit version of Win7 (about a month ago) and just 2 crashes within the last 2 hours the problem almost has to be related to dMc.

Administrator

It is possibly a hardware issue, such as an overheating CPU. I often say if I wanted to write a program which does what is happening to your computer, on a normal Windows 7 machine, I could not write such, as windows does not allow this.

I'm not sure I understand your "If I wanted to write..." sentence. Wouldn't that imply that Windows wouldn't allow the computer to overheat in the first place?

In any case, the fan was a bit louder than I'm used to before crashing, so I wouldn't rule out overheating. However, the machine is only 6 months old, and it's a fairly expensive Thinkpad model so I find it pretty hard to believe that this software would cause it to overheat. I've never had any crashes whatsoever on this computer before.

Do you find it feasible that dMc would cause overheating on the 64 bit version of Win7 but not on the 32 bit version?

Is there any way I can find out what caused the crash in Windows?

Thanks for your help...

Administrator

You would have to have monitoring programs to look at CPU temperature. Normally an instant power off is the computer protecting its self, if Windows crashed then it would show a blue screen and the crash would appear in the Windows View Reliability History section.

It's definitely an overheating issue. Now I only wonder if the software would cause the same overheating on Win7 32 bit...

Administrator

A properly designed system should be able to 100% all cores indefinitely, my computer can (and does for hours at a time).

Well, just to double check I actually reinstalled Win7 32-bit and ran some files thru dMC again. Result was, it did also make my system way too hot, just not quite hot enough for it to shut down automatically again. So it seems like my notebook must have been defective right from the start.