title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Asset Control Discussions

Re: Asset Control Discussions

Hi Spoon - I just installed the latest version and found that it almost works with my Onkyo TX-NR807. When accessing the Asset UPnP v3 beta, I correcty see album art and metadata for all file types (WMALL, MP3, FLAC) and can select and play 44.1/16 content. Content with 88.2/24 or 96/24, however, shows the familiar red-crossed quarter note and will not play.

Switching tasks via alt+tab allowed access to my desktop, but selecting Control from the taskbar crashed the application.

I also have a Twonky v4.4.17 server on a NAS, and Control will not play any content from that server.

Great to see you're getting closer!

Administrator

The Twonky issue is known. What audio format is the 96/24 file in?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Not sure if this is an Asset Control issue or a WMP12 issue.

I have enabled control of my Windows Media Player and I am playing with Asset Control to feed it tracks. I can select an album and queue it and when a track ends the next one is played.

When I try to jump to the next track Asset Control shows that it has jumped to the next track on both the Library page and the now playing page, however WMP12 still plays the track it was currently playing.

If on the Now Playing Page I jump to the next track the display changes but the song heard does not, when the track completes the song next played is the track that appeared in the Next line in the bottom LH corner of the screen.

Clicking on the previous track button sends you to the beginning of the currently playing song.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    The Twonky issue is known. What audio format is the 96/24 file in?
    The 88.2 and 96kHz SR files that do not play are in FLAC format. WMA files with that SR work fine.

It's not an issue that Control doesn't work with Twonky. How did Twonky ever get to be the DLNA reference server? Asset is much better (although it only supports audio).

dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    The capabilites of Asset and Asset Control are very impressive, but the limiting factor for me is having a computer running all the time to play music on my home theater.

Are there any current or upcoming media boxes onto which we can install and run Asset and Asset Control to play back music, such that the actual music files are found on an external drive attached to the box or on a NAS, and use the box's remote (or a DLNA-enabled remote or smartphone) with Asset Control, without having my PC running? thanks!
    Last edited by biggles; 10-12-2010 at 09:47 AM.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Most media servers are Linux based for reasons of os costs and lower resource usage.

As this is Illustrate's forum I should mention their Ripnas product which is I guess a low power product but can't comment.

If you have some computer knowledge you could build a low power windows based pc to use as your media server.

I have built a server based on an Intel 510OMO motherboard with 2GB memory and a green 1TB hard disk which only uses about 32 Watts when streaming. I have gone a bit further and installed WHS and Ripnas essentials on it as well.You can then then play around with the power management settings to try and reduce the overall power consumption and even switch off overnight.

There maybe some other windows based media servers as well but they tend to be bigger and more expensive than the appliance type devices.

Administrator

Any of the cheap Atom computers (such as acer revo) would run Asset UPnP.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

So you're saying none of the current or upcoming media boxes have the architecture or horsepower capable of running Asset and Asset Control?

Administrator

>upcoming media boxes

Please cite examples

dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    Yes, that's part my question - are there any upcoming boxes that can run Asset and Asset Control?

I know nothing about the industry nor am knowledgeable in the market to know much of anything about current or upcoming media boxes, which is why I asked the question, but if my question is not clear, then when I state "media box" I mean devices like:

WD TV Live
    Google TV (Logitech's Revue is the only one shipping right now, I think)
    Popcorn Hour's various boxes
    QNAP's NMP-1000P (upcoming)
    Netgear/Roku (various current and upcoming models)
    Boxee Box
    Nixeus Fusion HD
    Dune (various)

I don't want a HTPC or PC-based solution. I just care about high quality audio. I'm sure I'm not aware of many, many devices relevant to my question, so I hope my question isn't dumbed-down to just the boxes above and someone with more knowledge than me can provide insight. Thanks!
    Last edited by biggles; 10-14-2010 at 09:49 AM.

Administrator

The WD TV Live is a UPnP player, it can read from Asset UPnP, but it does not work currently too well with Asset Control.

Hi Spoon,

Using Asset Control on my laptop over wifi, controlling the Sneaky which is connected by homeplugs, if I add a single album to an empty gapless playlist, then the tracks are added in two lots. The second lot is added very shortly after the first, and it wouldn't really matter, but inbetween the two lots appears an album control, with picture and remove from playlist button. This is already present at the top of the playlist, correctly, but it seems the delay in adding the tracks causes the control to be added in again. Wifi/homeplug performance is not otherwise an issue.

Also, letting the laptop sleep and wake a few times, over two or three days, keeping Asset Control running, on the akurate gapless playlist this time, each track from the exiting played for only 5-10 seconds before advancing to the next track. I emptied the playlist, restarted Asset Control, put the same single album back on the playlist, and it played fine.

Laptop is vista 32, ads and sds are on latest official cara, server is asset v3 beta.

Matt

Administrator

Can you post a screen shot?

Sure:

The break doesn't always occur between the same tracks, I think I've seen it as early as 8 and as late as 14.

Edit: got it to do it, occasionally, on the ADS as well, from the laptop. ADS is connected by CAT5, laptop still on wifi. I also tried the non-gapless playlists and there's not a hint of the issue, but for both sds and ads gapless, if the 'adding tracks to playlist' dialogue pops up for a second or two, instead of for a brief moment, then the issue occurs.
    Last edited by MnM; 10-15-2010 at 01:08 PM.

Administrator

Does it always break at the same point?