title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: How do you format file paths for .M3U playlists in Asset UPnP for WHS?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question How do you format file paths for .M3U playlists in Asset UPnP for WHS?

I'm running Asset UPnP for Windows Home Server. I've figured out how to add .M3U playlists to Asset and get them to show up in the Playlists container, so I know they're being indexed, but they don't play because I don't think I am specifying the file paths in the playlist right.

My music is all stored on my home server in the Music share. So in iTunes or on a client computer, I'd access:
    \\myhomeserver\Music\Artist\Album\Song.mp3

However, I have tried several file paths in the .m3u playlists and while they appear to be listed in the playlist on a DLNA client (my PS3), they don't play. I'm sure it's because I can't figure out the right way to express the path to the files since the other playlists (Most Played Tracks, Least Played Tracks, etc.) all work fine.

I have tried...
    D:\Shares\Music\Artist\Album\Song.mp3
    \\myhomeserver\Music\Artist\Album\Song.mp3
    .\Music\Artist\Album\Song.mp3
    .\Artist\Album\Song.mp3

...but none of these seem to work. Got any tips?

Administrator

Re: How do you format file paths for .M3U playlists in Asset UPnP for WHS?

Try R3 of Asset from the beta section of this forum.

I will get that set up shortly. Does it come with a sample playlist or some docs that say which path format I should use in my M3U playlists? (e.g., is it "D:\shares\Music\blah.mp3" or is it "\\server\Music\blah.mp3" or...?)

Administrator

No, but it did fix the URL given out for playlists (certain devices did not like the old url).

Can you tell me what the correct format for paths inside a playlist is? Or will Asset automatically figure it out regardless of how I do it? Or is there some special path format to let Asset know "these are tracks in this library?"

(I'd prefer to not have to trial-and-error my way through it, if you know what I mean. :D )

Administrator

Should work with any (asset does the reading and passes out over http)