title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

dBpoweramp inverts the "/" when typed in Artist & Composer Fields

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blackbeltjones
    • Mar 2010

dBpoweramp inverts the "/" when typed in Artist & Composer Fields

I was cleaning up the "Composer" and "Artist" fields for a Prince CD and I used a "/" to separate the artist and composer names. For example: I typed "Prince / Shelby J." in the Composer Field the song "Misty Blue."

However I noticed that the "/" was inverted as a "\" when I loaded the track in to iTunes. I also noticed it was inverted in the “EDIT ID TAG” option at the file level. I ruled out iTunes as the cause of this inversion because it is inverted the moment you rip it and then review it at the track at the “EDIT ID TAG” file level.

Is this a known issue or am I simply doing things wrong? It’s a small point to be sure, but I am in the habit of using a forward slash to separate artist information so it is a bit frustrating to see dBpoweramp get hung up on such a minor bit of nomenclature.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: dBpoweramp inverts the "/" when typed in Artist & Composer Fields

This is correct for mp3 because '/' separates multiple artists, if you want multiple artists then type:

artist1; artist2
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• blackbeltjones
      • Mar 2010

Thanks Spoon. I was encoding as Apple lossless, but I assume this is the case ALAC as well? If so I will just move to using ";" as my seperator.

Again, I know it's a small point, but I have literally thousands of CDs, so I want to make sure I have a tagging system that is "correct" going forward.

Great software btw... very happy w/ my purchase.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

Same for m4a also.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• TechVsLife
          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
          • May 2007

apple's m4a format (itunes tagging) does not support multiple items in any field. (unless that was changed very recently?). The ";" will not create multiple artists.

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

Because apple does not support it does not mean it is not a standard outside of apple.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• TechVsLife
              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
              • May 2007

that's true. but almost all m4a files use apple itunes (quicktime) tagging format. even nero in its latest version now defaults to apple itunes tagging. (I wish apple would allow multiple values per tag, but I don't know who's in charge of the quicktime format or that they'd be responsive.)

Comment

Working...

]]>