title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: PLextor 716 slowing down

PLextor 716 slowing down

I got a Plextor 716A recently. Once a track is ripped, it slows down while the track is being encoded, then it starts ripping the next track. I feel like dbpoweramp wasn't doing this before. It used to continue on to rip the next track while encoding the track it just ripped. I'm not sure when this behavior started. It could be when I switched from my old Sony drive to the Plextor, or I could have changed some setting. The reason I don't like this is for one, it takes longer to rip a CD, and I'm also worried about wear on the drive. I assume it's putting more wear on the drive because it speeds up and slows down for every track. It would be better for the drive if it would just get up to speed and stay there like it used to. But like I said, maybe this drive never worked that way.

Administrator

Re: PLextor 716 slowing down

Rip to Test Conversion to see speeds, check the CPU meter to check % cpu when ripping (not encoding), it should be < 10%

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Rip to Test Conversion to see speeds, check the CPU meter to check % cpu when ripping (not encoding), it should be < 10%
    Doing this test, it does go on to rip the next track while encoding the previous one. Speed stays stable. CPU usage: 95-100% !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Administrator

Well, that helped, and it didn't. It was stuck in PIO, and switching it back to DMA has made ripping faster: 25-30x instead of 15x. But my main problem is that the drive still speeds up and slows down with every track. Encoding will get to 50-60%, then the drive will slow down, only to have it speed back up 6-7 seconds later to rip the next track. Lots of wear . . .

Administrator

Again try ripping to test conversion and look at cpu %

Again try ripping to test conversion and look at cpu %
    75%-95% varying, but usually closer to 75%

Administrator

Still not right.

Still not right.
    I wouldn't think so, but I don't know what else to try, aside from a system restore point to, like, a month ago when it was working.

You probably checked for PIO on your CD drive, but also check for it on the IDE channel for your HDD.