title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

PLextor 716 slowing down

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ethanw
    • Jan 2010

PLextor 716 slowing down

I got a Plextor 716A recently. Once a track is ripped, it slows down while the track is being encoded, then it starts ripping the next track. I feel like dbpoweramp wasn't doing this before. It used to continue on to rip the next track while encoding the track it just ripped. I'm not sure when this behavior started. It could be when I switched from my old Sony drive to the Plextor, or I could have changed some setting. The reason I don't like this is for one, it takes longer to rip a CD, and I'm also worried about wear on the drive. I assume it's putting more wear on the drive because it speeds up and slows down for every track. It would be better for the drive if it would just get up to speed and stay there like it used to. But like I said, maybe this drive never worked that way.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: PLextor 716 slowing down

Rip to Test Conversion to see speeds, check the CPU meter to check % cpu when ripping (not encoding), it should be < 10%
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• ethanw
      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Spoon
      Rip to Test Conversion to see speeds, check the CPU meter to check % cpu when ripping (not encoding), it should be < 10%
      Doing this test, it does go on to rip the next track while encoding the previous one. Speed stays stable. CPU usage: 95-100% !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

See:

Q. My CD drive is ripping very slowly? A. Try ripping to Test Conversion (set to no speed limit), this rules out a slow encoder, an average CD drive might start at x10 and get to x25 for the last CD track (the x speed can be seen on the tool bar whilst ripping). If the speed is obviously slow, around x2 and your computer seems
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• ethanw
          • Jan 2010

Well, that helped, and it didn't. It was stuck in PIO, and switching it back to DMA has made ripping faster: 25-30x instead of 15x. But my main problem is that the drive still speeds up and slows down with every track. Encoding will get to 50-60%, then the drive will slow down, only to have it speed back up 6-7 seconds later to rip the next track. Lots of wear . . .

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

Again try ripping to test conversion and look at cpu %
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• ethanw
              • Jan 2010

Again try ripping to test conversion and look at cpu %
              75%-95% varying, but usually closer to 75%

Comment

• Spoon
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

Still not right.
                Spoon
                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• ethanw
                  • Jan 2010

Still not right.
                  I wouldn't think so, but I don't know what else to try, aside from a system restore point to, like, a month ago when it was working.

Comment

• LtData
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • May 2004

You probably checked for PIO on your CD drive, but also check for it on the IDE channel for your HDD.

Comment

Working...

]]>