title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Confidence:1" after _second_ submitted result, yes?

Lightbulb "Confidence:1" after _second_ submitted result, yes?

Hi!

Sorry to bother you guys again.
    It's probably in some thread here but I'm so tired, and this is bugging me. I think I have all the pieces to the puzzle. Now, only this. As I've understood it, when there is no AccurateRip record for a track, when the very first user submits it, it doesn't get "confidence:1", due to the high level of uncertainty, plus the fact that all submitted misreads would be "strolling around" the database for no good at all. So, when a user submits a CRC for the first time, it gets sort of "in-pipeline-waiting-for-further-verifications", ie confidence:0.

In short:
    When a ripped track gives me "Confidence:1" it means that 2 unique users/computers has ripped the track in particular, with the same checksum result. "Confidence:29" means 30 unique submitts for track, etc, etc, yes?

Like I said, sorry to bother you about this. The more I think about it, it seems like this is the only real answer to the question, cus otherwise it would - like I thought - lots of messy garbage CRC's in AccurateRip. Just need a tiny confirmation on this, hopefully from Spoon, so that I can find inner piece.

Regards~
    And bigups for all the good work~

Administrator

Re: "Confidence:1" after _second_ submitted result, yes?

> "Confidence:1" it means that 2 unique users/computers has ripped the track in particular

Not always, if there is only one pressing of a CD then a single submission would be made available.

dBpoweramp Guru

In terms of piece of mind, even the fact that one other user has ripped the CD on a different machine, different drive, different physical CD, and still produced the exact CRCs you are getting in your rip is still a good thing (and better than ripping twice on your own machine and comparing the results).

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

A confidence number of only 1 is not a guarantee of an accurate rip. Unless you have just purchased the disc and are ripping it for the very first time, it is possible that you are comparing with your own previous rip (and not someone else's).

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by eaglescout1998 View Post
    A confidence number of only 1 is not a guarantee of an accurate rip. Unless you have just purchased the disc and are ripping it for the very first time, it is possible that you are comparing with your own previous rip (and not someone else's).
    Hmmm, there is quite a delay between ripping a disc, and my OWN results being added to the accuraterip database. For example, if I rip the disk, then rip it again tomorrow (or even next week), my initial rip would NOT yet be in the database. You are correct that if I ripped it, and then a year later I ripped it again, the accruaterip database might only contain my prior rip. For me this is not an issue, because I rip my discs only once (to FLAC) with very rare exceptions.

Question Re: "Confidence:1" after _second_ submitted result, yes?

First, thanks for all your answers.

And yes, Spoon has previously stated that AccurateRip database is in fact updated approx. once a month, therefor "..then rip it again tomorrow (or even next week), my initial rip would NOT yet be in the database.." is correct.

I think this cleared it though. When a track (of disc) is ripped for the first time, it gets Confidence:1 instantly (but added to database for search queries first in a month or so).

The only thing I find strange is, assuming there are lots of folks who rip scratched discs and get faulty CRCs; and then submit those, there would be tons of "garbage CRCs" with Confidence:1 of, well, lots of albums/pressings out there. Right? This is why I thought that a track/pressing is getting C:1 first after being "validated" by a second submission. But I take it this is not the case then. Hmm..

Oh, perhaps I got a clue after all.

Look, do you (Spoon) mean that the very first CRC submitter of a Cuesheet-->TrackNo gets added after only single submission, meanwhiles any submission (with different CRC) after this original one requires at least one subsequent validation to get Confidence:1? This would sort of narrow down the number of -- possible -- faulty scratch garbage CRCs to 1 for each pressing, correct?

In short:
    A single submission of a new crc (pressing) on a cuesheet (album) is indeed (after ~a month) added with Confidence:1.
    Second submission gets Confidence:2, etc, etc..
    ?
    Last edited by Gew; 01-22-2010 at 01:13 PM. Reason: wrote wrapup

Administrator

Scratches are removed from the database when two people verify the rip, the 3rd scratch result would not make to the database.

Scratches are removed from the database when two people verify the rip, the 3rd scratch result would not make to the database.
    I'm reading the line over and over, trying to visualize the process. I think I may be complicating it to myself. Examples are nice though, so here goes.

I rip a track from a disc, EAC gives me the "OK [1234ABCD]" but also states that "track is not in database". Then, is the track now added to database "queue", so that when I rip the track (submit it) with the same system roughly a month later, I get Confidence:1 after ripping, after only one single submission..?

Then, say I have another pressing of the same album (belonging to the same cuesheet "folder" in database). I pop the disc and rip the same track. Now, I assume I would get a notice with i.e. "Track could not be validated [4321DCBA]" plus "AR returns: [1234ABCD]".

It's really around here my confusion starts.Say I then rip the second pressing again from another computer. A month later, any ripping of this disc track would give me "Track validated [4321DCBA]".

This is where you tell me that the original crc (1234ABCD) is wiped out of database, due to only Confidence:1. So, from here on, that second pressing is the only one in database for "cuesheet folder" in db, yes?

Then, let's say I rip that original disc track again, from another computer than before, then you tell me that the Confidence:1 was wiped out of db as two people (computers*) verified the ECBA4321 pressing.

So, even though the earlier submission of ABCD1234's, it's now back on Confidence:1. However, now both ABCD1234 & DCBA4321 checksums exist, side by side, in that [my own term of expression] "cuesheet folder" in database.

So, have I gotten it right this far?

Now, finally.

Take the possibility that I get a hold of a 3rd pressing of the album. I rip it aswell. After ripping I get i.e. "Could not be verified [11223344], AR returned [either 1234ABCD or DCBA4321]". I submit my rip.

Also, one thing that seems a bit mysterious.
    Picture this, from scratch; e.g. blank sheet for TOC in database.

ABCD1234 is ripped and submitted. (1x)
    DCBA4321 is ripped and submitted. (1x)
    11223344 is ripped and submitted (1x).

All three pressings are ripped but none of them are (yet) verified. Will all three be present with Confidence:1, until..? Say I submitt one of them, for example DCBA4321 a second time (weee; validation!). Will this validation then "knock out" both ABCD1234 and 11223344 completely?

Ty for your patience.
    Regards~

Administrator

Forget different pressings for now, it complicates:

A guy rips a disc and gets an incorrect rip as [BBBBBBB] (because of scratch), it submits and this result is in the db. You rip correctly get [AAAAAAAA], submit, now neither results are in the db, 3rd guy rips and submits [AAAAAAAA], now only [AAAAAAAA] appears.

Okey!

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    ...now only [AAAAAAAA] appears.
    It appears with Confidence:1 then? Or does it somehow go directly from complete db absence to Confidence:2?

Also, just so that I've gotten it right.
    Assuming complete blank sheet in db now..
    If a guy rips [AAAAAAAA], and the next guy rips [AAAAAAAA] aswell, Confidence leaps from 1 to 2, simple as that.

_whereas_

If a guy rips [AAAAAAAA], and the next guy gets a different checksum (i.e. [BBBBBBBB]), then [AAAAAAAA] (and [BBBBBBBBB]) is wiped. In short, database is always looking for -- subsequent -- similar checksums, and to prevent garbage sums it keeps wiping only-once-occurring sums.

Correct?
    Last edited by Gew; 01-24-2010 at 10:57 AM. Reason: minor thoughts

Administrator

100% correct, it is a simple concept which works well.

Nice!

So, you could say that, not only that it's not of very high reliability, but tracks you get "Confidence:1" on is always in sort of a "hang-loose state", meaning they could be wiped at anytime. Whereas tracks from which you get Confidence:2,3,4,5... is more or less "permanent" in database. Correct?

Administrator

Correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Forget different pressings for now, it complicates:

A guy rips a disc and gets an incorrect rip as [BBBBBBB] (because of scratch), it submits and this result is in the db. You rip correctly get [AAAAAAAA], submit, now neither results are in the db, 3rd guy rips and submits [AAAAAAAA], now only [AAAAAAAA] appears.
    This will -- seriously -- be the last piece of this -- much neurotic (I know) -- "scenario puzzle" that has been bugging me. Your process rendering above is very good. However, you verified that C:1 results are in a hang-loose state, whereas results of any higher confidence level is kinda stuck like glue in db.

Let's assume your scenario above, but let's include (another) rip crc with a Confidence of 100 or so, in between [A..] and [B..], call this one [C..] for simplicity.

Is this "ignored" (but just added: Confidence:101) in between the process of wiping subsequent 1-submit-only crc's?

Example:

1. A guy rips a disc and gets an incorrect rip as [BBBBBBB] (because of scratch), it submits and this result is in the db (Confidence:1).

2. A guy rips a disc and gets a correct rip as [CCCCCCCC] (Confidence:100), it submits and this result in the db (Confidence:101).

3. You rip correctly get [AAAAAAAA], submit (Condidence:1).

Now, will -- still -- C:1 rips (no. 1 & 3) get wiped after submitting no. 3? Even though there has come a well validated rip crc in between..?
    Last edited by Gew; 01-26-2010 at 04:47 PM.

Administrator

1 and 3 would only appear after another person verifies.