title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Ripper/LAME saving wrong tag type

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tenbob
    • May 2008

Ripper/LAME saving wrong tag type

Hi. I can't get the CD Ripper to store the correct type of tags in the MP3 files produced by LAME. I am using Vista, so it's probably something to do with UAC. I followed Spoon's recommendations in this thread but it didn't work.

I tried 3 ways to run dBpoweramp configuration first as a normal user, then using "Run as Adminstrator", then I made myself a full administrator permanently. In each case the Codecs/Advanced Options showed "Tag Creation: ID3v2. But when I examine the file with MP3TAG it shows that it has ID3v1 and APEv2 tags instead.

It would be useful if the ripper program allowed you to change the options from within the program. Or if I knew where the config settings were stored I could probably change them manually.

Can you offer any help, please?
    Regards, Bob
    Last edited by tenbob; 01-15-2010, 04:22 PM.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Ripper/LAME saving wrong tag type

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Illustrate\dBpowerAMP\T agging

Mp3TagDefault should be 3
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• tenbob
      • May 2008

Hi Spoon. Thanks for your quick reply - but it's still not working.

I found the key in regedit and changed the value from "not set" to 3. But it made no difference. Every MP3 I create still gets IDEv1 and APE tags. This happens whether I run LAME from the CD Ripper or from the Music Converter.

Some more information that might help. When I run dBpoweramp Configuration it changes something and remembers the setting. But it has no effect on the tagging. And the registry key doesn't change.

In regedit I tried several values for this key apart from 3. None made any difference. I also searched the registry for other keys that might be relevant, including "tagging", "illustrate", "dbpoweramp" and "lame". I coudn't find anything that looked significant.

I assume the registry value should be a string (REG_SZ) value.

At present it looks like the program is totally ignoring everything I tell it about what tags I want. Can you help further please.

Thanks, Bob

Comment

• tenbob
        • May 2008

Hi Spoon. Please ignore my previous post. I've finally got it working.

I needed more details in order to enter the registry key properly. When I began the key HKCU\Software\Illustrate\dBpoweramp\Tagging was completely empty. The value Mp3TagDefault had to be added. I didn't fully understand this, so I wasted some time entering the data as a REG_SZ in completely the wrong place.

It should be ...
        Value: Mp3TagDefault
        Data: REG_DWORD 3

For the benefit of other readers, here's my summary of what I think is happening.

The configuration for the LAME encoder is stored in the registry. You change it by running the program DBpoweramp configuration.

When you run this program as a regular user under Vista, the operating system needs a higher level of authority. It asks for an administrator password in order to proceed. However, when you do this, it is like logging in as somebody else. You are now editing the configuration for the Admin user, instead of for yourself. Thus, any changes you make will be ineffective (and cause unexpected consequences for the Admin user).

To get round this, you need to give your own account full Admin privileges before you run the config program. Do this through Control Panel / User Accounts. Note that it won't work if you try to use another admin account. Also it won't work if run the program with the option "Run as Administrator". Both of these will end up changing the configuration for the wrong user. The only way is to make your own account into an Administrator.

This is what Spoon said in the post I cited before, but I didn't fully understand it.

Hope this helps. Regards, Bob

Comment

• Tig
          • Jan 2010

Just wondering if dbpoweramp could support saving it's configuration for each user account in the future? Rather than needing to run as an administrator? I often use a standard user account as my usual working account (for security reasons) and would like to be able to save config to the user account.

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

Change the account type to admin, configure then set back as limited user.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>