title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

rip to FLAC and MP3 at the same time?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ethanw
    • Jan 2010

rip to FLAC and MP3 at the same time?

Can you set up dbpoweramp to rip to MP3 and FLAC to different folders at the same time? I'm guessing no, because I don't see a way to do it. But I've been known to be wrong (quite often actually).
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: rip to FLAC and MP3 at the same time?

Install the utility codec [Multi-Encoder]
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• ethanw
      • Jan 2010

Re: rip to FLAC and MP3 at the same time?

Originally posted by Spoon
      OMG thanks a million!! I'm sure you know how much time this will save me. Thanks for all your work on this site in general. It creates a great database for everyone who needs help.

Upon further searching (for where to download the codec), I quickly saw that this was asked and answered, so sorry for the extra question. I tried to search for the answer, but I guess I didn't try hard enough. At a lot of sites someone would have just posted "asked and answered a million times, find the search button" and may not have even provided a link to the answer. You obviously care that people enjoy dbpoweramp to the fullest . . . the best of person to have on forums!! :smile2:

Comment

• Sossity
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Jan 2010

Re: rip to FLAC and MP3 at the same time? I cannot find it in my program files, there

Originally posted by Spoon
        I found & installed this encoder, but I cannot find it on my desktop, I do not know where it is or how to start it up, I went into program files, start>program files>dbpoweramp but could not see it. I went into the C drive & looked through program files in windows explore, but the is only a dll file & a tiny icon, but no exe.file to run & open the program.
        Last edited by Sossity; 01-10-2010, 09:39 PM.

Comment

• ethanw
          • Jan 2010

Re: rip to FLAC and MP3 at the same time? I cannot find it in my program files, there

Originally posted by Sossity
          I found & installed this encoder, but I cannot find it on my desktop, I do not know where it is or how to start it up, I went into program files, start>program files>dbpoweramp but could not see it. I went into the C drive & looked through program files in windows explore, but the is only a dll file & a tiny icon, but no exe.file to run & open the program.
          If you did in fact install it correctly, all you have to do is open up the regular dbpoweramp program, and the "rip to" menu will now include [Multi Encoder]. Once you select that, you can set your destination folders, codecs, quality settings, etc. by clicking on the encoder settings in the bottom right hand corner.

Comment

• Sossity
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by ethanw
            If you did in fact install it correctly, all you have to do is open up the regular dbpoweramp program, and the "rip to" menu will now include [Multi Encoder]. Once you select that, you can set your destination folders, codecs, quality settings, etc. by clicking on the encoder settings in the bottom right hand corner.
            I guess I missed something, when I click the rip to tab, among the choices in the bottom left of the screen of the CD ripper page, there is no multi encoder option.

I am not sure where I may have gone wrong, I just went into the codecs page of dbpoweramp & clicked on the multi encoder link, saved the file, the ran the install.

Comment

• Spoon
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

Make sure you install it to the same location as dBpoweramp (if you changed the default path).
              Spoon
              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• pjc2
                dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                • Nov 2009

It seems like multi-encoder has a number of limitations (see below if interested), so I'd rather not use it if I don't have to. Is there any loss of metadata if I rip to FLAC and then use dMC to convert to MP3 later?

Put another way, are there any tags that can only be written to MP3 (and not FLAC) during ripping that would get lost in a 2-step process? Or do certain tags get formatted a certain way when written to FLAC that causes some mangling when converted to MP3 later?

(The limitations include at least: (1) multi-encoding doesn't happen in parallel with ripping, whereas single encoding does; and (2) ReplayGain seems unable to write both track and album gains when multiply encoding files, I only get one or the other.)

Comment

• Spoon
                  Administrator
                  • Apr 2002

No loss of metadata
                  Spoon
                  www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• vryder
                    • Mar 2009

Originally posted by pjc2
                    It seems like multi-encoder has a number of limitations (see below if interested), so I'd rather not use it if I don't have to. Is there any loss of metadata if I rip to FLAC and then use dMC to convert to MP3 later?

Put another way, are there any tags that can only be written to MP3 (and not FLAC) during ripping that would get lost in a 2-step process? Or do certain tags get formatted a certain way when written to FLAC that causes some mangling when converted to MP3 later?

(The limitations include at least: (1) multi-encoding doesn't happen in parallel with ripping, whereas single encoding does; and (2) ReplayGain seems unable to write both track and album gains when multiply encoding files, I only get one or the other.)
                    I found the limitation of multi encoding to not happen in parallel with ripping to be quite annoying as well. Running a i7 processor with 8 cores, and only able to use one of them at a time seemed a bit silly, to be honest. Is there any plans to add support for multiple encoding and ripping at the same time?

Comment

• Spoon
                      Administrator
                      • Apr 2002

At most it would only use 2 cores if encoding to 2 formats at the same time. The audio cannot be split and fed to 8 cores, most encoders do not allow for this (internally WMA will do this).
                      Spoon
                      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>