title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: SpeeX on an MP3 player

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

SpeeX on an MP3 player

Hello all

I'm preparing a few audio books
    for a friend likely to spend a few weeks in hospital.

Staying with the MP3 format
    I have to convert down to 16 kbps CBR
    and it sounds a bit tinny.

Is there some way of being able to play SPX files on a standard MP3 player ?

Best regards from Ray

Administrator

Re: SpeeX on an MP3 player

No there is not.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    No there is not.
    depends on the player, if its one you can rockbox then you can play speex afik(my buddys iriver h340 can for example)

if you just want a good player for audio books, try the sansa fuze or clip+ both are priced reasonabally and are expandable, they also support ogg vorbis, you can convert to lower bitrates then MP3 without getting horribly artifacting that mp3 has.

I use vorbis at as low as 32k(q-2), for MONO audio books thats 16k (32=16k*2)

One other trick I have found is that IF the audio books is stereo, you can encode to joint stereo at higher bitrate with mp3, then convert to vorbis and the file size will be FAR smaller(simlar to mono file size) but without loosing the stereo sound.

My advice for any audio book fan honestly would be to grab a sansa fuze or if you need a smaller player(tiny) then the clip+(the + is newer model and has a microsd slot)

My fuze is the best player I have owned for audio books and music, the fact that it supports ogg and flac, as well as audible audio books is great, being able to expand it with microsd cards kicks total ass!!!!

You can also load up extra microsd cards with more audio books, music and videos if you want, I have 2 8gb cards full of audio books, and keep my music on the drives internal memory and no, using a microsd card dosnt effect batt life in my experiance, unlike some other players i have run across.

Administrator

Forgot about rockbox

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

also found a couple asian players over the years that say they support speex, tho, how good that suppot would be and how hard on batt life it would be is anybodies guess.