title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: RIPNAS Essentials, FLAC vs Apple Lossless

RIPNAS Essentials, FLAC vs Apple Lossless

I have installed RipNas Essentials + Teac drive (secure abilities) on my HP Media Smart Server with WHS OS. I currently use my server for a Linn Klimax DS, a Sonos System and iTunes. So my preferred mode of ripping is in ALAC.
    Currently I have about a 30% chance of ripping to ALAC without error. If errors occur I will keep re-ripping the CD until I get an error free rip or an accumulation of 3 to 4 rips which usually gives me all of the songs. If I rip to FLAC, I have a 95% chance of getting an error free rip (but bye-bye iTunes).

I see no difference in switching between secure and unsecure.

I have also demo dBpoweramp CD Ripping on the same system with good success in ripping to ALAC.

What I am missing?

Administrator

Re: RIPNAS Essentials, FLAC vs Apple Lossless

What are the errors?

Here is the typical error message.

Disc 5: [AMG] The Vines - Highly Evolved Reject 3: Ripping Error
    Error ripping to Apple Lossless, 'Track 1' to 'd:\Shares\Music\The Vines\Highly Evolved\Vines, The - 01 - Highly Evolved.m4a'
    Error audio file failed verification 'd:\Shares\Music\The Vines\Highly Evolved\Vines, The - 01 - Highly Evolved.m4a'.
    Error ripping to Apple Lossless, 'Track 2' to 'd:\Shares\Music\The Vines\Highly Evolved\Vines, The - 02 - Autumn Shade.m4a'
    Error audio file failed verification 'd:\Shares\Music\The Vines\Highly Evolved\Vines, The - 02 - Autumn Shade.m4a'.
    Error ripping to Apple Lossless, 'Track 8' to 'd:\Shares\Music\The Vines\Highly Evolved\Vines, The - 08 - Factory.m4a'
    Error audio file failed verification 'd:\Shares\Music\The Vines\Highly Evolved\Vines, The - 08 - Factory.m4a'.
    Track 1 Result: Error
    Track 2 Result: Error

I also installed Apple Lossless R9. This took me from no error free rips to where I am now.

Thanks

Administrator

Did you manually check the option to verify the audio on the ALAC page?

Yes I did.

Now it is unchecked and receive the following errors

Disc 3: [AMG] The Vines - Highly Evolved Reject 1: Ripping Error
    Error ripping to Apple Lossless, 'Track 5' to 'd:\Shares\Music\The Vines\Highly Evolved\Vines, The - 05 - Homesick.m4a'
    Error overwriting file 'd:\Shares\Music\The Vines\Highly Evolved\Vines, The - 05 - Homesick.m4a'
    Error ripping to Apple Lossless, 'Track 6' to 'd:\Shares\Music\The Vines\Highly Evolved\Vines, The - 06 - Get Free.m4a'
    Error overwriting file 'd:\Shares\Music\The Vines\Highly Evolved\Vines, The - 06 - Get Free.m4a'
    Error ripping to Apple Lossless, 'Track 7' to 'd:\Shares\Music\The Vines\Highly Evolved\Vines, The - 07 - Country Yard.m4a'
    Error overwriting file 'd:\Shares\Music\The Vines\Highly Evolved\Vines, The - 07 - Country Yard.m4a'
    Error ripping to Apple Lossless, 'Track 9' to 'd:\Shares\Music\The Vines\Highly Evolved\Vines, The - 09 - In the Jungle.m4a'
    Error overwriting file 'd:\Shares\Music\The Vines\Highly Evolved\Vines, The - 09 - In the Jungle.m4a'
    Error ripping to Apple Lossless, 'Track 10' to 'd:\Shares\Music\The Vines\Highly Evolved\Vines, The - 10 - Mary Jane.m4a'
    Error overwriting file 'd:\Shares\Music\The Vines\Highly Evolved\Vines, The - 10 - Mary Jane.m4a'
    Error ripping to Apple Lossless, 'Track 11' to 'd:\Shares\Music\The Vines\Highly Evolved\Vines, The - 11 - Ain't No Room.m4a'
    Error overwriting file 'd:\Shares\Music\The Vines\Highly Evolved\Vines, The - 11 - Ain't No Room.m4a'
    Track 1 Result: AccurateRip: Accurate (confidence 87) [4D32603F]
    Track 2 Result: AccurateRip: Accurate (confidence 88) [6438EF87]
    Track 3 Result: AccurateRip: Accurate (confidence 89) [FC27D559]
    Track 4 Result: AccurateRip: Accurate (confidence 89) [0598E3D3]
    Track 5 Result: Error
    Track 6 Result: Error
    Track 7 Result: Error
    Track 8 Result: AccurateRip: Accurate (confidence 89) [76C17CDE]
    Track 9 Result: Error
    Track 10 Result: Error
    Track 11 Result: Error
    Track 12 Result: AccurateRip: Accurate (confidence 84) [D5328A70]
    Combined Result: 6 Error, 6 Accurate

Best Regards

Administrator

Is there security software on the system? something has locked those files.

I have all known security software on the system turned off. This problem seems to be unique to CDs that have shown past verification errors.

All CDs ripped after unchecking the "option to verify" have shown no errors. This seems to have solved my problem. Can I assume that this feature is redundant when using your software?

Thanks for the help.

Administrator

The verify reads the file back in after ripping and after tagging. It should not leave the file locked (if you tried to re-rip the same disc) because the process which did the verify has long since exited.