title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Volume Normalize on m4a files downloaded from itunes

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Volume Normalize on m4a files downloaded from itunes

I just downloaded an album of music from the itunes store (it was a free holiday sampler). I always rip my own music and use volume normalize as i rip with the replay gain setting.

The m4a files as downloaded are too load compared to all my mp3 files, so i would likie to use volume normalize to set them with the replay gain option. Since they are already ripped, it seems my only method would be to right click the files and select conver to, but i really don't want to convert them, just normalize them.

I'd appreciate someone telling me the process to do this.

Re: Volume Normalize on m4a files downloaded from itunes

I believe that you do need to right-click, convert to m4a format under the same specifications (frequency, bitrate, channels) with the DSP applied. If the files are copy-protected, you won't be able to do this. Volume normalization requires that you re-convert the files. This is an area where ReplayGain would make a difference, but ReplayGain will only be effective when the tracks are played through a program that can interpret the ReplayGain tag information and apply it upon playback.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,
    Bill