title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ripnas for home server, album art weirdness.

ripnas for home server, album art weirdness.

I was ripping chillout sessions 8 it has 2 cd's

I put in CD 1 and it found the meta data but no album art.

I put in CD 2 and it found the meta data, giving it a different name and it did find the album art.

CD 2 had a better result than CD1

so I put in CD1 again, different name, and this time it found the album art.

so What the heck is going on.

I have many cd's that had no album art, do i have to do them repeatedly untill i get the album art.

Im feeling a bit ripped off by ripnas.

excuse the pun.

I also posted this over at www.wegotserved.co.uk hoping some one, some where can help.

Re: ripnas for home server, album art weirdness.

It might have been a temporary hiccup with the meta-data of CD1 in regards to one provider, which might explain the difference in names and lack of album art the first time around.

Quote Originally Posted by LtData View Post
    It might have been a temporary hiccup with the meta-data of CD1 in regards to one provider, which might explain the difference in names and lack of album art the first time around.
    well about one in 7 cd's are not getting album art and iv ripped 91 cd's so ill go back and try putting them in again and see what happens and report back.

Thanks for you reply.

I think i May have found the problem

In dbpower configuration

there is a section

registration status

reference: Registered

AMG: GD3 & MusicBrainz: Access Expired (Internet Meta Data) [renew Access]

So I only installed this a few days ago, and i paid for it, why has my access to the meta databases expired?

I was not aware when i paid for it that i had to further subscribe to these databases to get it to work

Some one please correct me if im wrong, but if this is the case ill be wanting a refund.

Administrator

RipNAS does not use CD Ripper to get its album art or meta data, it used a more robust program called 'Batch Ripper' which is used by the majority of the worlds commercial CD ripping houses, that expired message means nothing (if it was expired you would get zero album art, 100% of the time).

About that one disc, it could have been a glitch (the online databases are not up 100% of the time, even at 3 9's 99.9% of the time there is still 10 minutes per month they are down).

The current routine tries each database 2 times, so for the art of a popular disc to fail then 4 requests for the art has to fail, and fail with 2 independant sources.

Administrator

But by all means - re-rip those discs with missing album art, if the art appears then perhaps there is something we can do to help the album art retrieval when the interenet connections are not great.

Also consider that no database in the world has every album art...

Hi Spoon

Thanks for clearing up the "Access Expired" thing for me. It was a bit concerning.

As for my internet link it is 8m/1m business Grade ADSL, the business grade part meaning it has very low contention ratio, and gives me faster down loads than some peoples ADSL2 running at much faster bandwidth.
    (work pays for it)

As for the Weird album art, I will try to rerip some of the cd's. As soon as I get a chance, in the next day or 2, and report back.

Thanks again for your reply.

I think Spoon isn't referring to your Internet connection being down but the problem being on the meta-data provider's end.

Hi Again
    I have another example of Weird Meta happening.

the first time I ripped a cd called "floor fillers 3" It put it in a folder called "Floor Fillers 3" the second time i did it i got "Floor Fillers III [Disk1]

I hate to say it but the so called perfect Meta is far from perfect, I believe the program is not infact looking to multiple database sources, but infact stopping at first match.

Its the only conclusion I can make about getting different meta when i rip the same disk twice.

Again, im happy to stand corrected if there is some setting I need to set or im doing something wrong. :vmad:

Administrator

If you drop me an email I will send over an activation (1 year) for CD Ripper and AMG, GD3. This will allow you to Remote Desktop in - load CD Ripper (end task Batch Ripper first) and click the meta data button a few times. Also it is possible to select Meta Menu >> Perfect Meta Review Results to view all the providers. I am thinking that some of the providers are failling on your system due to network conditions. Email:

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/email.htm

Thanks Spoon, I sent you an email.

I have installed that, Will go back through the troublesome cd's and report back if it solved the problem

Cheers

Administrator

It will not solve the problem, but will allow you to test CD Ripper and see how that reads the metadata - try the problem discs multiple times and manually inspect all the metadata retrieved.

ok reporting back

using Cd Ripper instead of ripnas created a much better result. Also I can see the source of the problem.

as you can see from the image. The correct meta is found in both GD3 and Freedb. Yet RIPNAS went with AMG???

AMG always write up "various Artists" instead of the actual artist name on compilation Cd's

Iv found that RIPNAS always uses AMG, I re ripped over 30 compilation cd's that had been done with RIPNAS and now have correct meta.

If RIPNAS gave us the ability to have an advanced mode and select our meta source, this would be much better.

Also does RIPNAS cache results ???

Finally the other problems I have had with RIPNAS is that it wont remember settings to allow last CD to be the same as first, and it will not allow me to RIP a CD even if there is no META avalible.

If ripnas is not going to be imporved, Then spoon is there any chance I can be refunded for RIPNAS and buy CD RIPPER instead?

This would not have been a problem if there was a free trial period of the RIPNAS product.

I love the integration with home server of RIPNAS, but wish it was as good as CD RIPPER.

Administrator

as you can see from the image. The correct meta is found in both GD3 and Freedb. Yet RIPNAS went with AMG???
    Yes because in many instances GD3 is freedb (they took entries for their database from freedb - in your example above I can tell you CD3 has taken the freedb data), so perfect meta will see just AMG and GD3, or AMG and freedb. Is MusicBrainz ever completed.

Remember the original complaint was the meta data would change, when the same disc was re-inserted, this points to network problems - have you seen this happen?

Iv found that RIPNAS always uses AMG, I re ripped over 30 compilation cd's that had been done with RIPNAS and now have correct meta.
    So would CD Ripper, they are identical.

Also does RIPNAS cache results ???
    No

and it will not allow me to RIP a CD even if there is no META avalible.
    Reinsert the disc after is it rejected (for no meta) it will be ripped the next time to Unknown Artist 1..2..3

If ripnas is not going to be imporved, Then spoon is there any chance I can be refunded for RIPNAS and buy CD RIPPER instead?
    What makes you say that? It is being more developed right now than cd ripper.

I love the integration with home server of RIPNAS, but wish it was as good as CD RIPPER.
    You are asking for RipNAS to perform as CD Ripper does, one has human interaction, to fix metadata, the other is hands off - if you have plans how RipNAS can be as good as CD Ripper (with human interaction) in a totally stand off way, I am all ears.