title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [codec] DSD (SACD) Decoder

Re: DSD (SACD) Decoder

Update: [Solved]

On a whim, I tried re-installing the codec using the right-shift-key technique that is outlined in the FAQ for installing the 32-bit version of dBpoweramp. The installer offered to install the codec in the 32-bit folder. I clicked Install. In the warning dialog box that popped up, I chose "No" to tell the installer to install the new version without uninstalling the old version. I dismissed the error message about not being able to find dBConfig.exe and the installer finished. The 32-bit version of the codec installed into the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Illustrate\dBpoweramp\decoder" folder. Now Asset can see my .dsf files again.

Although this method worked, it's not obvious or intuitive, and it's a bit intimidating. There needs to be a more elegant installation solution for codecs that must be shared by 32-bit Asset and 64-bit dBpoweramp.

Cheers,
    Jeff

just installed "dBpoweramp-Codec-DSD-SACD.exe" into dbpoweramp 64nit release 15.1.

is it possible to convert wav to dsd by using this dsd code?

Administrator

No it is not possible

Greetings All.

Firstly, Spoon - thank you for the work on the CODEC - much appreciated.

Secondly - little question - I've just converted my first DSF album to FLAC (24/96) and the audio is very quiet - the sound level is perhaps 50% of a normal CD Rip or downloaded FLAC file... The album is the 2013 OMR version of Dire Straits 'Brothers In Arms' from a SACD. I am about to try another album to see if this si consistent, but thought I'd raise/mention here in case I've missed something or it's a known issue by newbies?

Many TIA

Administrator

It is how DSD is mastered, there is not a loudness race like on CDs, it is how it should be. You can volume normalize the audio.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    It is how DSD is mastered, there is not a loudness race like on CDs, it is how it should be. You can volume normalize the audio.
    Thanks for the response Spoon - yep agree definitely not interested in any loudness race and associated compression, etc... I have since got my Vortexbox (LMS) and Perreaux DP32 playing DSF files using the LMS PlayDSD function that pushes out a bit-perfect DSF file as a PCM stream that shows up as 176.4kHz sample rate to my non-DSD capable DAC in the Perreaux (and will stream DSF natively to DSD enabled DACs). Once I did that realised that all the DSD titles I had were at similar loudness levels. :smile2:

I think the volume control makes a better solution for the sound level than normalising the file - as that keeps the data bit perfect (which the LMS needs anyway to do the PCM thing for non-DSD DACs). Incidentally one of the reasons I have the Perreaux DP32 above is specifically because it has an analogue stage volume control.

Thanks again for the CODEC, I've now avoided the need to convert any of my DSF files, but will still be using Foobar to do the tagging of the DSF files I think as it looks to be the best option for managing DSF tags.

Thanks & Cheers.

Administrator

Now released, released version has a fix for file greater than 1GB. Also 5.6GHz D128 dsd decoding is supported.