title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

How to edit tags and artwork of FLAC files?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oarthus
    • Nov 2009

How to edit tags and artwork of FLAC files?

Hello

Short question: how can I edit the tags and artwork of FLAC files with dBpoweramp?

If you want to know the details why I'm asking, here's the story:

I listen to MP3 files on the iPod, and FLAC files on the Sonos Zone Player. I want the same music in both format, with the same tags.
    I have 2 sources for my music:

-CDs I rip with with dBpoweramp cd ripper and multiple encoder: it works well and is easy to use. I can modify the tags and the album artwork before encoding to FLAC and MP3 (I usually need to edit the genre, the artwork and sometimes the album artist for compilations).

- FLAC files, that I want to convert into MP3. So I wanted to do the same way than with dBpoweramp cd ripper: to edit the tags and artcover first, and then covert using batc converter (with mutliple encoder as I need to put it on the computer of my wife too!). Unfortunately I am not able to edit the tag or add artwork with the batch converter.
    I also tried using MP3Tag to edit the tags, but it does not seem to work well with dBpoweramp. For instance I edit the Album artist in MP3Tag, but when I converted the files in dBpoweramp batch converter asking it to create a folder with "Album Artist", it did not do it but instead used the Album field as I think the Album artist looks empty to dBpoweramp.

Thanks

Olivier
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: How to edit tags and artwork of FLAC files?

Select files in Windows Explorer >> Right click >> Edit Tag
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• oarthus
      • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Spoon
      Select files in Windows Explorer >> Right click >> Edit Tag
      thanks, I did not know this!

is there a similar way to do it from within the application (this looks kind of odd from here)

Also how can I add the artwork, I can't find this through the edit tag!

Thanks

PS: I just tried the edit tag function, but when I open the edited tag with MP3tag the changes do not show up... Could this be a question of tag version? All of this is annoying, as I really don't understand why I have to do tag one way when ripping a cd, and totally differently when converting from FLAC...
      Last edited by oarthus; 11-19-2009, 04:28 PM.

Comment

• garym
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Nov 2007

I think you'll need to use mp3tag to add artwork after the fact if you didn't do it when you ripped with dbpa. There are much simpler ways to do all this but the fact that some tags need to be mapped to other tags is likely causing you problems (for example there are "album artist", "albumartist" (note no space), and "band" that different programs will all use somewhat interchangably. But i can tell you that in my case, i rip to FLAC, make sure i have all tags just how I want them with art, etc., different things mapped or copied (like albumart to album art to band) to cover my bases in different programs, etc. Once all is right, i can then use a single click to convert all these flac files to mp3 and everything shows up perfectly in the mp3 files with no further action from me.

My suggestion is that you spend a little more time searching the forums here and in mp3tag to get a feel for some of these issues. You'll learn a lot and be able to do what you want with a lot less hassle. Both dbpa and mp3tag are very powerful programs but they do take a little work to figure out all the aspects of using (particularly mp3tag). Good luck.

Originally posted by oarthus
        thanks, I did not know this!

is there a similar way to do it from within the application (this looks kind of odd from here)

Also how can I add the artwork, I can't find this through the edit tag!

Thanks

PS: I just tried the edit tag function, but when I open the edited tag with MP3tag the changes do not show up... Could this be a question of tag version? All of this is annoying, as I really don't understand why I have to do tag one way when ripping a cd, and totally differently when converting from FLAC...

Comment

• oarthus
          • Nov 2009

Originally posted by garym
          I think you'll need to use mp3tag to add artwork after the fact if you didn't do it when you ripped with dbpa. There are much simpler ways to do all this but the fact that some tags need to be mapped to other tags is likely causing you problems (for example there are "album artist", "albumartist" (note no space), and "band" that different programs will all use somewhat interchangably. But i can tell you that in my case, i rip to FLAC, make sure i have all tags just how I want them with art, etc., different things mapped or copied (like albumart to album art to band) to cover my bases in different programs, etc. Once all is right, i can then use a single click to convert all these flac files to mp3 and everything shows up perfectly in the mp3 files with no further action from me.

My suggestion is that you spend a little more time searching the forums here and in mp3tag to get a feel for some of these issues. You'll learn a lot and be able to do what you want with a lot less hassle. Both dbpa and mp3tag are very powerful programs but they do take a little work to figure out all the aspects of using (particularly mp3tag). Good luck.

Thanks for your advice. I am already quite familiar with MP3Tag.

You said that you Rip in FLAC and then convert in one click to MP3 and keep all the tags. I am able to do this as well, all in one click. That's the easy part.
          My problem is when I use a FLAC file (from the internet) and then need to convert into MP3. The Tag editor of dbpoweramp seems to conflict with MP3tag.
          Also I cannot figure a way to get the album artwork Folder.jpg added automatically to the new folder, in the same way than dbpoweramp cd ripper does.
          So my basic problem is that dbpoweramp cd ripper and dbpoweramp batch converter have totally different behaviors.
          Also I tried using MP3Tag to, for instance, change the Album Artist tag (which will be used to create the new folder), but dbpoweramp batch converter does not recognise the tag, and creates a folder using the album name, even though I specified to use the album artist.

Thanks

Olivier

Comment

• Wayne
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Aug 2002

Also I cannot figure a way to get the album artwork Folder.jpg added automatically to the new folder, in the same way than dbpoweramp cd ripper does.
            Download and install the ID Tag Update codec or use the ID Tag Procesing DSP effect when converting files.

Comment

• oarthus
              • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Wayne
              Download and install the ID Tag Update codec or use the ID Tag Procesing DSP effect when converting files.
              I have installed ID Tag update, but I can't find a way to actually open it! In the manual, they show a screen with several tabs, including one called "manipulation" but I haven't found how to access this screen. It did not add a new line to the start menu of windows, and in the c:/program files/illustrate there is only .dll files related to idtag.

Regarding the DSP effect, could you elaborate a little? Can I install it without altering my sound (I hate all these effects), and how does this allow me to add an artwork?

Thank you.

Olivier

Comment

• Wayne
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Aug 2002

The ID Tag Update codec must be used like other codecs to "convert" the file(s). If you right click on a file and select convert to, the ID Tag Update appears as one of the conversion options.

The DSP effects can only be used when converting files. The ID Tag effect can be used when converting between formats to export album art contained in the source files or import art.

Comment

• garym
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Nov 2007

And keep in mind that although this is under DSP effect, it is NOT adding any digital sound processing of any kind....just making tag changes.

re: album artist. In mp3tag, have you tried to make sure you have the same value in each of these fields:
                  %band%
                  %album artist%
                  %albumartist%

And then play with which one of these values you use for your folder destination. I'm sure this will work. Either the tag field is empty or there is something wrong with your naming scheme for organizing the files (typo, wrong field, etc.).

Comment

Working...

]]>