title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: XBOX 360/PS3 sound quality different

Question XBOX 360/PS3 sound quality different

I have my systems hooked up to an Onkyo TX-SR607 receiver via HDMI. I have compared the audio output of both consoles. I am getting better audio quality out of the PS3. The XBOX audio is not as detailed, and also lower in volume. But even after setting volume the same, the XBOX audio is lower in quality.

Why is this happening? Both consoles are hooked up via HDMI. Receiver is set to Stereo mode for both, and I checked all other EQ settings, etc, on the receiver. Does the XBOX not pass the audio losslessly like the PS3? It is not an Asset problem, because even Media Center sounds the same.

Administrator

Re: XBOX 360/PS3 sound quality different

It might resample the audio, from 44khz to 48khz, the quality of the internal resampler then comes in to play.

Re: XBOX 360/PS3 sound quality different

It is one possibility. I looked in the XBOX audio setup, and it only lists Dolby Stereo, and Dolby 5.1ch. My receiver also detects Dolby mode. So it may be compressing down to a lossy AC3 file format.

I really like the layout of Media Center, with it's Album art and wanted to use it on XBOX. But I guess I have to settle on PS3 for better audio quality. Thanks.