title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Why 1000s of frames to re-rip?

Why 1000s of frames to re-rip?

Hey all -- I am a year-long user of DBPA, and recommend it regularly. But I'm having a problem that's got me stumped.

I am ripping some brand-new CDs, and getting thousands of frames on each track to be re-ripped. Last night I let a track run for 6 hours, and it never finished.

I've turned off C2 to see if that helped, and I've enabled and disabled modifying the speed each pass. I'm still seeing the large number of frames to be re-ripped.

Hardware is a TSST TS-L532B inside a Dell XPS M140.

What could be causing these problems with brand-new CDs? (Rutter from Collegium <g>)

Bruce Maples
    Louisville, KY

Administrator

Re: Why 1000s of frames to re-rip?

It is a sign the CD drive is failing (perhaps systamatically, or for specific CDs).

OK, not trying to be obstinate -- it's entirely possible the drive is failing. But why so randomly?

One track with rip in a few minutes, and the next track will fail to rip after hours.

Could heat be a problem?

Smile Re: Why 1000s of frames to re-rip?

OK, I seem to have fixed it.

Set the cache to 0, limited the drive speed to 16x overall and 6x on bad frames, and turned off C2. Ripped the problem CD with minimal bad frames.

I think the cache was the main problem -- DBPA could never figure out if it had a cache or not.

Thanks all -- see you on the forum another time! And I still think DBPA is a great tool!

Administrator

The cache should not effect reading in any way, it is just a constant offset, and if overreading is not enabled then the drive does not reading outside the track.