title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Amazed at lack of imagination

Thumbs up Amazed at lack of imagination

I have to tell you.

I was looking at RipNAS, which initially seemed like a very interesting product.

Then I was shocked and turned away in disgust.

As imaginative and creative as the dB....products are, why would something like RipNAS have to be so proprietary and promote mediocrity, by using the monolith of media players, Microsoft Media Player. Can't it be based on Industry standards ?
    Why does it need a particular product at all, and if it is going to be one, why use the worst in the industry ?

I guess it is dedicated to the DRM virus and the inferior w.. codecs to make Microsoft/Apple happy.

Just amazing.

FLAC and Ogg Vorbis are license free are open source and are "ours".

I guess RipNAS is just another product to promote more market control for Microsoft/Apple. Oh yes and iTunes as well, which screws so many artists, is overpriced and is the worst of its kind.

So sad.

Jon

Re: Amazed at lack of imagination

Quote Originally Posted by jolo View Post
    I have to tell you.

I was looking at RipNAS, which initially seemed like a very interesting product.

Then I was shocked and turned away in disgust.

As imaginative and creative as the dB....products are, why would something like RipNAS have to be so proprietary and promote mediocrity, by using the monolith of media players, Microsoft Media Player. Can't it be based on Industry standards ?
    Why does it need a particular product at all, and if it is going to be one, why use the worst in the industry ?

I guess it is dedicated to the DRM virus and the inferior w.. codecs to make Microsoft/Apple happy.

Just amazing.

FLAC and Ogg Vorbis are license free are open source and are "ours".

I guess RipNAS is just another product to promote more market control for Microsoft/Apple. Oh yes and iTunes as well, which screws so many artists, is overpriced and is the worst of its kind.

So sad.

Jon

I suggest you do some more research. You clearly don't have a clue what you're talking about.

I'm no Windows evangelist, but Windows Home Server is there because it's a solid OS, ideal for this purpose.

It's a FLAC-centric machine, with its own uPnP server - Asset. But for Squeezebox users it runs that server too.

On top of that you have the dB loveliness and accurate-ripping hardware.

All with not a hint of DRM...

Do some reading before shooting your mouth off.
    Last edited by Patrick Cleasby; 10-30-2009 at 12:28 PM. Reason: typo

Re: Amazed at lack of imagination

Quote Originally Posted by jolo View Post
    So where did you see that its using Windows Media Player? RipNAS uses Windows Home Server as the OS, yes, but nowhere in the webpage regarding it do I see any mention of you having to use Windows Media Player or iTunes to access the music.

Last time, I checked, RipNAS is based on dMC to rip CDs and uses Asset uPnP to stream audio, which is based on industry standards. It supports FLAC out of the box and can use ANY of the dMC codecs, including Ogg Vorbis. Also, even if use WMA or MP4/M4A, it adds NO DRM to the files it rips.

This is not your soap box. Thread locked.