title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Ripped to FLAC and then had to burn CD

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Johncan
    • Oct 2009

Ripped to FLAC and then had to burn CD

Last year, I ripped and made CD-R copies of several Jazz CDs and put the originals in storage for safe keeping. I play the CD-R's in my car. My youngest daughter accidentally destroyed my CD-R copy of John Coltrane "One Down, One Up" CD 1. So I burned another CD-R from the FLAC files. When I ripped from the original CD, it ripped without errors and AccurateRip gave a confidence rating of 29. The new CD-R does not indicate it has found a match in the AccurateRip database. I burned the CD-R using PlexTools Pro LE so I know my offsets are correct.

Why the discrepancy now? I can't figure this out. I can always go pull the original CD out of storage, but I am very curious why no match now.

John
  • brian2090
    • Oct 2009

Re: Ripped to FLAC and then had to burn CD

I am going to guess that the original CD has certain data in the pressing, which tells the meta engines what publisher and pressing you are ripping. I believe this data includes something like a UPC code. If I'm right, the FLAC audio files will be burned to your CD-R without this identifying marker on your "custom" disc, even though the CD-R tracks should rip with the identical CRC values you would get from the retail CD tracks after ripping. Other than using CD-Text, I haven't found a way to burn a custom disc that can be identified as the original disc by an online meta engine.... I would have to search the data manually, and select my artist/album to get track tagging.

Comment

• Johncan
      • Oct 2009

Sorry if I was not clear. dBpoweramp CD ripper finds the meta data in the "ID Tag" meta lookup for the CD-R. However, it does not find the CD-R in the AccurateRip database. Many, many other CD-R's I have made of my original CDs are found in the AccurateRip database and rip accurately when re-ripped. I often re-rerip to make sure my copy is bit-perfect to the original.

Hope that makes sense.

Comment

• Johncan
        • Oct 2009

I also burned it without 2-second gaps between songs so I know that is not the problem.

Comment

• LtData
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • May 2004

CD-Rs aren't supposed to show in AccurateRip, because technically, they are wrong. The data was ripped with the drive's read offset and burned with the write offset, so it has a completely different offset than the pressed CD.

Comment

• gravy
            • May 2009

Typically CD-Rs will be different due to the offsets, unless you compensate or are lucky. On my Samsung S203B I can backup a disk with nero and get a perfect copy verified by AccurateRip. The read offset is +6 and by coincidence the write offset is -6 so they cancel. Anyone can also use EAC to burn the image specifying the correct write offset for their drive. Like Johncan I check my copies using dBpoweramp and AccurateRip to confirm a perfect burn.

- Gravy

Comment

• Johncan
              • Oct 2009

Originally posted by LtData
              CD-Rs aren't supposed to show in AccurateRip, because technically, they are wrong. The data was ripped with the drive's read offset and burned with the write offset, so it has a completely different offset than the pressed CD.
              I don't think this is true if you correct the read and write offsets in either EAC or Plextools. Many of my other CD-R's do show in the AccurateRip database. This is not showing and I can't figure out why.

Comment

• Spoon
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

Track one might start at a different position, than the usual 2 seconds in.
                Spoon
                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Johncan
                  • Oct 2009

I converted the FLAC to WAV files, made a cue sheet, and burned in EAC. The new CD-R is seen by AccurateRip and rips with no issues (confidence rating of 63).

Comment

• mbone@kiva.net
                    • Nov 2007

I've run into a strange problem trying to verify rips in the same way. My drive has a read and write offset of 30. dBpoweramp CD ripper rips accurately to FLAC format, but many programs seem to not be able to compensate for the write offset (I tried Nero and dBpoweramp CD writer). The only program I have that will compensate is PlexTools Pro XL v3.13. It writes all tracks accurately except the last one, which it adds 588 samples of silence to the end for some reason. The burned CD isn't found in AccurateRIP if one track isn't correct. I can compensate by editing the track to remove the last 588 samples before burning, but that can only work for tracks that already have at least 588 samples of silence at the end.

Comment

Working...

]]>