title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

CD Ripper is disabling my drive (I think!)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • skypilotpete
    • May 2009

CD Ripper is disabling my drive (I think!)

A very frustrating problem has started today, and I've had to stop using dbPoweramp CD ripper and move back to Nero. Whenever I put in a new CD, CD ripper asks me what drive I want to select (rather than just using the default setting as it used to do). Then, when I select the drive, the whole screen goes blank (white) for ages (which it never used to do), and then finally it reads the disk.

However, if I need to refresh the drive for any reason, my CD/DVD drive is no longer accessible. CD Ripper doesn't see it, and it does not show up on My Computer. I have to reboot the computer to access it again. As soon as I open dbPoweramp CD ripper and try to rip a CD, the same thing happens again. I have upgraded today from 13.1 to 13.3 to see if that makes any difference, but it doesn't.

I have tried ripping CDs with Nero and don't have any problems. I can refresh the drive within nero as may times as I like without this problem happening.

This problem first started today after I kept getting false results from the online Meta Data. I played around with various settings trying to stop the Metadata from being entered into my rip, and then this problem began. I can't see how this would be related, but perhaps someone else can.

In the meantime, I'm back to using Nero, which I'm not at all happy with, because I much prefer the secure ripping facility of dbPoweramp.

I use Windows XP Pro SP3, LG GH22NP20 CD/DVD drive
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: CD Ripper is disabling my drive (I think!)

Try:

...also how to do a full reset of dBpoweramp? (if dBpoweramp crashes for some reason) Where does dBpoweramp save its files / settings? It is installed to c:\Program Files\Illustrate\dBpoweramp or c:\Program Files (x86)\Illustrate\dBpoweramp The 64 bit version of dBpoweramp is installed to: c:\Program Files\dBpoweramp It

Reinstall and try dbpoweramp with default options set.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• skypilotpete
      • May 2009

Re: CD Ripper is disabling my drive (I think!)

Thanks - your advice has worked. Ripper works again, and in addition, when the meta data is checked, I now get a dialog box offering me the suggested matches and the option not to select any of them - which I never had before. This is great!

I was about to try uninstalling and reinstalling anyway, but I wouldn't have known about your complete uninstall utility. That was a big help. After running the removal utility, CCleaner still found a couple of dbPoweramp related issues hanging around in registry, but the two things combined left me feeling confident that I had completely uninstalled the software and could do a clean reinstall.

Comment

Working...

]]>