title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Problems reading AAC audio with Sony CPF-IX001

Problems reading AAC audio with Sony CPF-IX001

I have for some years now used Sony’s Sonic Stage to produce ATRAC files for my portable players, but feel that it’s time to ‘move on’, so to speak.
    Having tried out dBpoweramp ripper with NeroAAC encoder to produce .m4a files, I can get them to play in Winamp, and can import them into Sonic Stage (for the purpose of transferring to a Walkman), which also plays them without problems.

However, even though the CPF-IX001 shows the artist, album and track information, upon attempting to play the track it displays the error “Cannot Play”. On accessing the M-crew Server software, the track appears in the library, however attempting to play it there results in the error “File playback impossible”.

I can rip to wave files, which results in the creation of files that play without problems on both my CPF-IX001 and M-crew Server software.

After converting it with either the dBpoweramp Music Converter or from a command line using neroaacenc.exe, the file refuses to play in either of the aforementioned.

Having downloaded iTunes, and ripped the same tracks, the resulting .m4a files play without problems, so I’m at a loss to understand exactly where I’m going wrong!

Any help would be much appreciated.

Administrator

Re: Problems reading AAC audio with Sony CPF-IX001

Create mp3 files instead?

I’m disappointed, and must declare that I expected a more productive response!

Administrator

Without your exact player we could not possibly hope to advise...perhaps you have a low bit rate selected and a portion of AAC is activated which your player cannot handle (such as HE or AAC+), or it could be the ID Tags and a buggy firmware of the player.

My apologies if I have not sufficiently clarified the problem, and also if I have misunderstood your reference to ‘the player’.

The Sony CPF-IX001 is a 2.1 speaker system with network connectivity, (either wirelessly or via Ethernet cable). AAC, ATRAC, MP3, WAV and WMA files are added/managed/played by the M-Crew Server software installed on a ‘client’ PC.

I selected a high bitrate for the files. I actually tried several quality settings with neroaacenc, -q 0.65 and higher.

The nero created tags were read correctly by both Sonic Stage and Winamp from the Nero encoded files, and from the .m4a files encoded with iTunes.

I have successfully, (albeit with some minor file and folder creation issues), created .m4a files using EAC and iTunesEncode.exe (obtained from rarewares) which play correctly.

I still would like a solution without any issues though!

Administrator

Try removing all ID Tags from the file (right click >> edit Tags >> Clear All).

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Try removing all ID Tags from the file (right click >> edit Tags >> Clear All).
    Sadly that didn't work for me!

Is there a difference in the .m4a files produced by the iTunes and Nero encoders?

Administrator

It is possible for players to be buggy and only work with certain files, AFAIK iPODs at one time would not play Lame created mp3 files (one of the most popular mp3 file type in existance)...

Here’s weird for you...

I ripped music to .m4a using dBpoweramp CD Ripper with the Nero AAC encoder. On attempting to play it in Foobar, I got;
    “Unable to open item for playback (Unsupported format or corrupted file (invalid or incomplete data)):” So, I tried it in Winamp, and it played!

I ripped it again, using dBpoweramp CD Ripper, this time to a .wav file, and it plays it both Foobar and Winamp.

So, I ripped the same music to .m4a, this time using EAC with the Nero AAC encoder. It plays in both Foobar and Winamp!

What am I doing wrong?

(For the record – neither .m4a attempts play on my M-crew software)

Administrator

Administrator