title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Time User - FLAC

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: First Time User - FLAC

dBpoweramp will do the HDCD decoding and save the 20-bit audio to a 24-bit file (just because 24 bits seems to be better supported).

EAC, I think, will (or may be set to?) save to a 16 bit file without decoding HDCD, but will write to the cue sheet that this is a HDCD file, and then if your player supports it, it will decode.

With all reservations for errors here, I have never actually tried EAC's HDCD capabilities.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by adydula View Post
    Ok I tried to rip Santana "Abraxas' its a 24 bit HDCD with the FLAC HDCD feature the rip went ok and accurate checked but all the files are showing as 16 bit?? Isnt this supposed to detect HDCD and rip to 20 or 2 bit?
    Yes it is supposed to. Try to display the Track Technical column in the ripper interface, and see whether it is actually a HDCD. (Display by right-clicking on the tab and then scrolling sufficiently long to the right if necessary.)

Thanks for the suggestions. The Track Technical Information says that it is HDCD. Also when I verify the audio properties of the output flac file using explorer it shows the Sample Size as 24 bit. However on playback, the HDCD indicator on my DAC does not illuminate.

Administrator

It would not, the file has already had the HDCD applied to the audio. The HDCD logo only lights when the DAC is doing the applying of HDCD.

Thanks, Spoon. I just figured that out myself. Pretty cool feature!

Dan,

What HDCD are you ripping?

I am wondering if i really have a hdcd...in the explorer hover over and display the file contenst its says 16 bit for me. The cd is a remastered Santana cs in 24 bits.

When I play it inmyu new OPPO BD83 player its shown as a normal CD, not HD CD?

I do have a few cds that do show up in the OPPO as HDCDs and will try to find them and play..

Thanks
    Alex

Ok I just found one of my HDCD's its recognized as that in the OPPO player and I ripped the CD and in the file details its showing up as a 24 bit file.

So the 24 bit cd I have for Santana obviously is not a HDCD, but still a 24 bit file unless i didnt get what it says on the label!!

Nice

Anyway its working!
    Alex

You learn something new everyday!

Thought I would share this..of the 2 cds that I cant RIP to flac, both are MCA labels with SpyroGyra, Carnaval and Catching the sun.

Both when ripping after ultra secure with C2 option on, tried on multiple drives internal and external have massive bad frames that are re-read and are Inaccurate after hours and hours of re-reading.

So...I made a copy of both. I ripped ok, the other ripped ok but with many pops and ticks!!

I will buy another copy of the one that still exhibits issues and try, try again!

Alex

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I changed to Secure Mode.
    Would it have been better to stick with Burst Mode?

Also.
    I used to use EAC and ripped to FLAC Level 8 and it played on my iriver E100 fine, but since I started using dBpoweramp to rip to FLAC Level 8, they won't play on my E100. The E100 just skips over all the tracks.

Could it be that dBpoweramp has a higher compression Level 8 than EAC?
    Or what is the problem?

By the way. The FLAC Level 8 files ripped by dBpoweramp work fine on my computer.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dypsis View Post
    I changed to Secure Mode.
    I used to use EAC and ripped to FLAC Level 8 and it played on my iriver E100 fine, but since I started using dBpoweramp to rip to FLAC Level 8, they won't play on my E100. The E100 just skips over all the tracks.

Could it be that dBpoweramp has a higher compression Level 8 than EAC?
    Or what is the problem?
    Probably something with the tags that the player doesn't like. What sort of tags are you adding with dbpa vs. with EAC.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Probably something with the tags that the player doesn't like. What sort of tags are you adding with dbpa vs. with EAC.
    I am tagging the same way. The same info.
    But as to how dBpoweramp tags as opposed to EAC, I cannot tell you.

After 250 cd's there are now approx 8-10 cds that have large amounts of frames to be re-read at the end of ripping.

A techniques that is about 90% successful is copy the cd and use the copy to rip and its for the most part works ok, no bad frames to re-rip.

Anyone explain this?

Alex