title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Using the ID-Tags on dbpoweramp ripped .wav files for cataloging / database purposes

Using the ID-Tags on dbpoweramp ripped .wav files for cataloging / database purposes

I'm a newby to to dbpoweramp, but wonder whether I can kill two birds with one stone when ripping CD's with dbpoweramp

ie not only
    1) an accurate rip, but also
    2) a method to catalogue my CD's and the tracks etc therein without refeeding the CD's to a separate CD cataloguing program.

eg I have Chaka Khan's "I'm Every Woman" on one album, which I'm sure isn't the version that I remember I really like - which is probably on a compilation album somewhere....! There are sometimes subtle and occasionally pretty obvious differences between supposedly identical tracks, particularly when 'remastering' has happened (sometimes I prefer the balance of the original digitisation)

The ID-Tag under the .wav file properties has Artist, Title, Album, Year, Genre etc that would enable such a database to be put together, but I can't find a software package that can read this Tag.

I thought Asset UPnP might be able to search on keys like this, but it doesn't seem to be able to.

I did a web search and found eg Collertorz MP3 Collector - which can catalogue .wav files. However, it seems to only be able to get data from the filename…..

Any advice would be most appreciated.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Using the ID-Tags on dbpoweramp ripped .wav files for cataloging / database purpo

wave tags are hit and miss, there isn't much standardization in apps between reading/writing them. not to mention huge wastes of space using uncompressed wave files.

your better off using some type of lossless (FLAC, WMA lossless, or Apple lossless) since they have standardized tags for their particular format.

that said you might try mediamonkey or foobar if you haven't already.

Re: Using the ID-Tags on dbpoweramp ripped .wav files for cataloging / database purpo

Dear Technojnky

Thank you so much for your quick and helpful reply.

I'm using .wav because it is supported by more of the Network/ USB capable amps that I have scattered worldwide than eg FLAC.
    eg I have an 'old' Denon A1 XVA at the high end and a new Yamaha RX-V463 at the low end which support .wav but not FLAC. (also have in different places a Denon AVR-3808 and and Arcam AVR-600 which do support .wav and FLAC).

I agree that FLAC is half the size and has better tagging, but storage continues to get cheaper, and there is a limit (a 1.5Tb disk is appx 2300 CD's) to how many CD's I would buy, as I'm tending now to spend when i can on Blu-ray concerts with DTS-HD audio....

Anyway, I'm pleased to say that MediaMonkey identified and read the dbpoweramp created ID-Tag in an instant!

So i think I'm home and dry with this combination of dbpoweramp and MediaMonkey so will continue ripping with confidence!

Once again thanks for the steer!