title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: How do I add "year" info to folder containing ripped files?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How do I add "year" info to folder containing ripped files?

I'm using RipNas Essentials for ripping. When I rip a CD, the ripped files are placed in a folder. Unsurprisingly, the folder's name is that of the ripped CD. In other words, the name of the folder corresponds to the album tag in each ripped file. Each file also contains a "year" tag. When I view the folders on my hard drive (running Windows XP), I have various options for viewing the folders, including by name or year. I'd like to view by year. That way, when viewing the various folders for an individual artist, the folders would be chronological rather than alphabetical. Despite the fact that the ripped files do indeed contain "year" tags, I've been unable to get the folders to display by year. While ripping, does the "year" data have to be added to not only the ripped files but to the folder name as well? If so, how do I use RipNas essentials to do that? Thanks.

Administrator

Re: How do I add "year" info to folder containing ripped files?

You would like to put a \Year\ folder into the rip path?

Thanks (as always) for replying Spoon.

I'm not sure that I want to add year into the rip path. Not sure what that would do in terms of folder naming. I don't really want the folder to read "album" "year". If that wouldn't happen, then, I'll give your suggestion a shot. But, what I'm trying to do is have Windows read the year data from somewhere w/in the ripped files. I've now noticed that when - choosing details - Windows doesn't seem to really read any of the tags embedded in my ripped files. For instance, I can choose to display artists, track name, etc, but, nothing comes up. I can see those tags, however, when using dbPoweramp or most any tag editing software. So, perhaps it's a tagging issue? I'm ripping to FLAC. Any suggestions as to what kind of (additional) tag I could use for Windows to ready the "year" info?

Administrator

Windows will not read FLAC tags.

I feared that would be the case. Given that Windows won't read the FLAC tag for "year" (or any other tag), is there a way around the issue? Obviously, Windows is reading the name of the folder. That means, therefore, that the folders' names aren't FLAC tags. Is it possible to create something similar for year info? Is that what you were suggesting in your initial response when you mentioned putting a year folder in the rip path? How would I do that? Thanks.