title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: DVD Audio Ripping

DVD Audio Ripping

Spoon
    Have you thought of including ripping for hi-res DVD audio tracks?
    I would be keen to see that from you rather than others.
    Thanks.

Administrator

Re: DVD Audio Ripping

It is being considered, but not in the short term.

I too would be very keen on this - would pay extra for this facility - and for the Linn DS users many will have DVD-Audio disks (bought at considerable cost) that really bring the best out in the audio.

A large number of your users I suspect use the software for convenience, security etc. but there will be some like me; I have one motive only - and that is to get the very best quality from the music collection - and if going digital playback is more convenient, then that is a bonus.

The very best digital playback systems are demonstrably superior to CD playback - and the studio masters at 24bit/96k are breathtakingly good. Just like vinyl without all the problems!

Well, there's a thread that discusses DVD ripping, and the feeling is that it would be considered illegal, at least in some places. The DMCA has a provision about circumventing copy protection. Many DVD-Audio discs are also encrypted, so if he can't implement ripping of DVD video (even if it's just the audio portions), I don't see how DVD-Audio would be okay.

It would be nice though. :smile2:

There are a number of products that claim to rip dvd-audio although I have not yet tried any. As they can be easily copied (unlike the spiteful SACD format) surely they can be ripped?

I don't get the "illegal" bit. If I own a number of disks - which I do - what is illegal about me extracting the music in order to play it in another format? It is hardly my fault that dvd-Audio did not take off and the only way to enjoy these expensive recordings in the long term is to play them on a digital streamer.

For the very first time since the launch of CD in 1983, there is an opportunity of higher quality sound being made available. I am tired of having to go back to vinyl to hear things missing from the red book CDs and the 24bit depth seems a good step forward.

Holding these in FLAC is the most obvious means of ensuring long term enjoyment and any organisation that makes this difficult should be challenged.

For too long, music lovers have been dragged down formats which have proved short lived. In the 80s recording sound onto VHS was remarkably good. Problem is that the tapes deteriorated and now you can hardly buy a recorder. I have hundreds of irreplacable live radio recordings, all of which have deteriorated. 8mm came in for a while and was brilliant. Becasue the tracks were stored in parallel, it was not necessary to rewind or fast forward the whole tape to find tracks. Then the manufacturers stopped making recorders which handled audio format and yet more hundreds of hours of recordings are now useless.

CD will slowly go the same way. Linn has announced ceasing production. 5 years time I predict it will be hard to get any decent CD player and when broadband speeds increase, downloading will be the defacto means of obtaining music (if it isn't already).

So we need Digital lossless - FLAC seems a good choice - and we should be able to get all our legally purchased music extracted. Or am I missing something?