title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: offset

offset

would like to know how to set the offset for my Asus DVD RW drive. Ripped an audiophile CD using DB poweramp and itunes. The rip via itunes sounds better. seems to me the offset is not correct and needs to be reset. Please advise

Administrator

Re: offset

Offset does not effect the sound quality, only the start of the data.

noted. How do we ensure that we get the same quality of sound via db poweramp? Prefer to rip using DB compared to I-tunes. Please advise. Thanks

Administrator

If the disc is verified by AccurateRip then it is 100% correct, there is no better than that. Encode to lossless and it is 100% identical as when created from the CD Master.

Thats great. But i am confused as to why a cd ripped in aiff through i tunes sounded better. running slimserver on readynas nv+ and streaming it to squeezebox, converting the digital signal to analog using the benchmark dac1. the rest of the equipment is also high-end: mark levinson monoblocks, audio research preamp and nht 3.3 speakers. very transparent system. The sound of the cd ripped using db poweramp into aiff was harsh compared to the itunes rip. The highs were very harsh and the bass was wooly. any thoughts on how to improve the sound? any adjustments? prefer ripping using db poweramp. thanks

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dhinesh View Post
    But i am confused as to why a cd ripped in aiff through i tunes sounded better.
    Should be impossible? Sure you are using aiff and not aac?

Administrator

Make sure you have no DSPs enabled when ripping.

used aiff. Says aiff when ripping, all settings are "as source". no dsps used as well. When using these settings, one thing that was a bit surprising was that the bit rate of the ripped album and the sampling rate was lower than the standard cd 16 bit 44.1 khz. so i actually changed the settings to 16 bit and 44.1 khz and ripped again. sound of same album ripped via itunes was better. very confusing!

considering the convenience of db, want to rip using db as its easier to add album artwork, simply have to choose "from file" or "from scanner". Very convenient!