title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Problems with Real Audio conversion

Problems with Real Audio conversion

I'm trying to convert some files that are in Read Audio. They show as .ra files. They play in Real Player. I've downloaded the Converter and I've downloaded the decoders (and the encoders and anything else!). And when I try to convert it says I don't have the right .ra decoder. Any thoughts?

Administrator

Re: Problems with Real Audio conversion

Run dBpoweramp Configuration and look on the Codecs Tab, this shows the extensions dBpoweramp can decode, if you have installed the real audio decoder it should list .ra

Hmm. You are right, the .ra decoder is not there. I went back over the instructions and downloaded Real Alternative and the second file as well. But to be honest, I'm not quite following the instructions as what to do next. Can I ask for a few more details?

thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Run dBpoweramp Configuration and look on the Codecs Tab, this shows the extensions dBpoweramp can decode, if you have installed the real audio decoder it should list .ra

Administrator

1) Download 'Real Alternative' from http://www.free-codecs.com/real_alte...e_download.htm (or search in Google for Real Alternative), verify installation by playing a file in Windows Media Player.

2) Install dBpoweramp's DirectShow filter, correct Real Audio extensions should be auto picked up as DirectShow supported, if not add manually (see the DirectShow help file).

You have followed both steps?

I downloaded the Real Alternative. I can open it - it seems to be a player of some sort. I do not understand what 'verify installation by playing a file in WMP' means. My Windows Media Player plays mp3 files. It doesn't recognize .ra files.

I installed the DirectShow. It is listed as a file under the dbpoweramp configure codecs. I don't understand what it means to add manually.

Administrator

After you install Real Alternative you should be able to play the files in Windows Media Player.

Just re-installed both. And uninstalled Real Player as prompted. Under Real Alternative, something called Media Player Classic opens and I can play the .ra files. I can not play the .ra files in Windows Media Player. And it still isn't clear to me how I can convert the .ra files to mp3. What am I doing wrong??

Administrator

Real Alternative is a set of Codecs, they might be bundled with a player 'Media Player Classic', you might have installed the wrong item.