title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Best Meta Settings for WMP

Best Meta Settings for WMP

Utilized the batch ripper in various configurations for the 400 disc trial and could not find the combination of settings which allows Windows Media Player to understand key meta data.

The two I am most interested in is - Year, Track Length.

I did find that: CD Ripper>>Options>>Meta Data & ID Tags>>Options>>"Force no date on Year" was an option but it did not seem to affect the results in CD Ripper or Batch Ripper.

Thanks in advance for the help prior to jumping into the next 2000 CD's

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Best Meta Settings for WMP

what codec are you encoding to?

The output from ripping are FLAC files.

I downloaded the following http://www.xiph.org/dshow/

to allow WMP to play the files. Strangely only the 32 bit download worked on my 64bit sytem.

dBpoweramp Guru

I can't say for sure, but you may not be able to get full support for FLAC in wmp. You may want to try wmp lossless.

I tried to utilize another program that is supposed to help with tagging http://wmptagext.sourceforge.net/
    but with no luck. Also found out that iTunes will not recognize FLAC.

To be honest this must be a frustrating point that everyone runs into at some point. Since there is no universal lossless compressed format that runs with WMP and iTunes it forces one to convert the files or stay with non compression such as .wav

I give...and will rip all of my files into WMA lossless then convert to VBR MP3 for the portable stuff...I am glad HD space is cheap. Will also need to force iTunes to monitor folders (can't wait).

Thanks for taking a look at the issue.

R

dBpoweramp Guru

do you plan to listen to the lossless or just archive? Why not stick with FLAC and transode to mp3 or aac, both usable in iTunes and on ipods.

I have grown accustom to the interface of WMP and have had some heartburn over iTunes and other players for connection to my centrally distributed stereo system because of digital rights, non automatic artwork, quality etc. I am my own worst enemy since I am looking for the highest quality possible with an interface that works remotely (via touch screen). I might fully commit to a Mac someday but now they do not support the higher end sound cards such as Asus Xonar D2.

Since FLAC is not the panacea I was hoping for on the listening interface front (because of the tagging issue), I'll stick with ripping to WMA Lossless converting to VBR MP3 for the portables, DVR's, PS3's and almost everything else that is based upon lossy music playback. The real headache is the constant updating of lossy material instead of a rip and listen mode.

With my luck there will an elegant alternative solution the moment I get CD number 2400 into the library.:smile2:

/R
    Last edited by RichD; 09-20-2009 at 05:29 PM.