title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Air UPnP (control Airport Express as UPnP devices)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nicolasb
    • Aug 2010

Re: Air UPnP (control Airport Express as UPnP devices)

Hello

Just a few question to be sure :

I've installed air upnp so it appears in my network window as upnp device.

I want to be able to stream to the airport express any audio from my computer such as sound from website in Firefox (music me, deezer, last fm....) windows media player... and any other app.

Is it possible ? do i need more things to install ?

I've tried to play from win media player with the "play to" fonctionnality. It sees the AE but no sound output from it and it skip to next track after a few second.

Do i miss something ?

Thanks
    Nicolas

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

It will not work as you are describing (something would have to capture the audio).
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Hodge
        • Aug 2010

Originally posted by iangrant
        Anyone else come across these messages in the Event Viewer logs? (see below: 'DNSServiceResolve active for over two minutes. This places considerable burden on the network')
        I'm getting the exact same error:
        Code:
        Log Name:      Application
        Source:        Bonjour Service
        Date:          26/08/2010 8:47:54 PM
        Event ID:      100
        Task Category: None
        Level:         Error
        Keywords:      Classic
        User:          N/A
        Computer:      Biamonte-PC
        Description:
        Client application bug: DNSServiceResolve(Pioneer._airport._tcp.local.) active for over two minutes. This places considerable burden on the network.
        Event Xml:
        <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
          <System>
            <Provider Name="Bonjour Service" />
            <EventID Qualifiers="0">100</EventID>
            <Level>2</Level>
            <Task>0</Task>
            <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
            <TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-08-27T00:47:54.000000000Z" />
            <EventRecordID>144512</EventRecordID>
            <Channel>Application</Channel>
            <Computer>Biamonte-PC</Computer>
            <Security />
          </System>
          <EventData>
            <Data>Client application bug: DNSServiceResolve(Pioneer._airport._tcp.local.) active for over two minutes. This places considerable burden on the network.</Data>
          </EventData>
        </Event>
        The error will come up every few minutes (often starting when I start plugplayer on my ipod) but it doesn't seem to effect network performance and my PC can run for several days or even a week or two without any apparent problems. That is until, one day, I'll get an error message that bonjour service has stopped and my internet connection will be hosed.

I'll still be connected and I can ping various addresses, but my browser can't seem to resolve dns addresses. I've tried ipconfig /flushdns, /renew, etc. to no avail. This has happened to me 2 or 3 times and, so far, my only solution has been to reboot. I haven't really done any real testing but the symptoms certainly look like there's a problem with the DNS service caused by AirUPNP, Bonjour, or both.
        Last edited by Hodge; 08-27-2010, 01:22 AM.

Comment

• Hodge
          • Aug 2010

Okay, it's been 5 days and it just happened again. Apps stopped resolving DNS addresses after 5 days of the above error showing up on event viewer.

As before, ipconfig /flushdns, does nothing. However, instead of rebooting this time, I disabled the AirUPNP and DNS Client services and then re-started them. After this, I have full connectivity back.

HOWEVER, something weird happened: as soon as I re-started the AirUPNP service, music started playing on my receiver through the airport, resuming from where I stopped it last night. I actually had to look for my iPod touch, wake it up and start plugplayer just so I could stop playback.

Very strange. I'd love to hear any ideas you might have on this.

Hodge

Comment

• thexfile
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • Jul 2010

"Bonjour Service" is a Apple application.
            Last edited by thexfile; 08-31-2010, 12:21 PM.

Comment

• Hodge
              • Aug 2010

Yes, it is an apple service. But until I installed AirUPNP, Bonjour it never caused a single problem. Something is happening in the interaction between the two services that eventually screws my DNS cache (apparently).

As I stated before, the problem crops up very intermittently so it's only a minor inconvenience, but it also makes it hard to diagnose. Since AirUPNP is still in beta, I'm sure the developers appreciate feedback.

Comment

• Hodge
                • Aug 2010

Hello?? Spoon? Is this still being developed? Is anybody even monitoring this thread???

This:

Originally posted by Hodge
                HOWEVER, something weird happened: as soon as I re-started the AirUPNP service, music started playing on my receiver through the airport, resuming from where I stopped it last night. I actually had to look for my iPod touch, wake it up and start plugplayer just so I could stop playback.
                happened to me again this evening. The AirUPNP-Bonjour combo, as usual, screwed up my DNS. Manually stopping and starting the DNS Client service fixed the issue but again triggered streaming to my receiver. Exactly as stated before.

I would be nice if somebody acknowledged these posts, even if the developers dont have any answers or solutions.

Hodge

Comment

• Spoon
                  Administrator
                  • Apr 2002

It is unlikely to be developed further.
                  Spoon
                  www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• iangrant
                    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                    • Nov 2007

I have a couple of questions:

Will AirUPnP be updated for the new AirPlay protocol? (from AirTunes -- does it need to be? I don't know if anything changed beyond the name...)

Does anyone know of anything that does the reverse? -- i.e. exposes a UPnP device (renderer) as an AirPlay/AirTunes device so that iTunes can stream to it.

Comment

• Spoon
                      Administrator
                      • Apr 2002

It will not be updated to make compatible with AirPlay.
                      Spoon
                      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• N2Audio
                        • Jan 2011

Hi all: I'm hoping someone in this community can help me. The controller/renderer randomly drops during playback. I'll copy the info level log below to show the exact problem I'm experiencing. Thanks for any help or suggestions.....

Setup:
                        PC using WindowXP w/latest updates
                        Asset by dbpoweramp as media server
                        air_upnp by dbpoweramp as contoller/renderer (physical device is Airport Express)
                        foobar200 v1.1.1 w/ foo_upnp component
                        Static IP addresses for both the PC and AE
                        All files are wav ripped from cd's

I'm using the optical out from the AE to a Benchmark DAC1. The combination streams perfectly, then suddenly stops as the controller drops from foobar/foo_upnp. The device will then re-appear and I can restart streaming once I add tracks back to the playlist.
                        Since it works at all, I'm assuming it's not a firewall issue?

Here's the log:
                        initialized in 0.063s
                        created 2099 path registry entries in 0.172s
                        loaded Media Library tree in 0.687s
                        1769.672: NPT_HttpResponse::Parse(790)/1872: WARNING: NPT_CHECK failed, result=-1 (FAILURE) [(res)]
                        1769.672: PLT_SsdpSearchTask::DoRun(493)/1872: WARNING: PLT_SsdpSearchTask got an error (-1) waiting for response
                        1769.672: NPT_HttpResponse::Parse(790)/3316: WARNING: NPT_CHECK failed, result=-1 (FAILURE) [(res)]
                        1769.672: NPT_HttpResponse::Parse(790)/1552: WARNING: NPT_CHECK failed, result=-1 (FAILURE) [(res)]
                        1769.672: NPT_HttpResponse::Parse(790)/3060: WARNING: NPT_CHECK failed, result=-1 (FAILURE) [(res)]
                        1769.672: PLT_SsdpSearchTask::DoRun(493)/3316: WARNING: PLT_SsdpSearchTask got an error (-1) waiting for response
                        1769.672: PLT_SsdpSearchTask::DoRun(493)/1552: WARNING: PLT_SsdpSearchTask got an error (-1) waiting for response
                        1769.672: PLT_SsdpSearchTask::DoRun(493)/3060: WARNING: PLT_SsdpSearchTask got an error (-1) waiting for response
                        1769.672: NPT_HttpClient::WriteRequest(1136)/3256: WARNING: NPT_CHECK failed, result=-1 (FAILURE) [(output_stream.WriteFully(header_stream.GetData(), header_stream.GetDataSize()))]
                        1769.672: PLT_HttpTcpConnector::Connect(86)/3456: FATAL: NPT_CHECK failed, result=-20408 (NPT_ERROR_SOCKET_CONTROL_FAILED) [(m_Socket->Connect(socket_address, connection_timeout))]
                        1769.672: NPT_HttpClient::SendRequestOnce(1072)/3256: WARNING: NPT_CHECK failed, result=-1 (FAILURE) [(WriteRequest(*output_stream.AsPointer(), request, use_proxy))]
                        1769.672: NPT_HttpClient::SendRequestOnce(1070)/3456: WARNING: NPT_CHECK failed, result=-20408 (NPT_ERROR_SOCKET_CONTROL_FAILED) [(m_Connector->Connect(server_hostname, server_port, m_Config.m_ConnectionTimeout, m_Config.m_IoTimeout, m_Config.m_NameResolverTimeout, input_stream, output_stream))]
                        1769.672: PLT_CtrlPoint::ProcessSubscribeResponse(1523)/3256: SEVERE: NPT_CHECK failed, result=-1 (FAILURE) [(((res) != 0)?res:(-1))]
                        1769.672: PLT_CtrlPoint::ProcessSubscribeResponse(1556)/3256: SEVERE: (un)subscription failed of sub "?" for service "urn:upnp-org:serviceId:ConnectionManager" of device "xxx AirPort Express: Airport Express (dBpoweramp Renaissance)", code=-1
                        1769.688: PLT_CtrlPoint::ProcessSubscribeResponse(1523)/3456: SEVERE: NPT_CHECK failed, result=-20408 (NPT_ERROR_SOCKET_CONTROL_FAILED) [(((res) != 0)?res:(-1))]
                        1769.688: PLT_CtrlPoint::ProcessSubscribeResponse(1556)/3456: SEVERE: (un)subscription failed of sub "?" for service "urn:upnp-org:serviceId:RenderingControl" of device "xxx AirPort Express: Airport Express (dBpoweramp Renaissance)", code=-1
                        1769.688: PLT_HttpClientSocketTask::DoRun(249)/3256: WARNING: NPT_CHECK failed, result=-20401 (NPT_ERROR_CONNECTION_ABORTED) [(SetConnector(0))]
                        1769.688: PLT_HttpClientSocketTask::DoRun(249)/3456: WARNING: NPT_CHECK failed, result=-20401 (NPT_ERROR_CONNECTION_ABORTED) [(SetConnector(0))]
                        1771.188: PLT_HttpServerSocketTask::Read(216)/3476: WARNING: NPT_CHECK failed, result=-1 (FAILURE) [(res)]

Comment

• ren3g7ade
                          • Feb 2011

This is awesome Spoon!

Quick Question:
                          So if I have Windows Home Server running a UPnP Media server and Air UPnP, and an AirPort Express Base Station connected to my Receiver, will I be able to use the Remote app for the iPhone to control my library to play the music through my receiver?

Comment

• Spoon
                            Administrator
                            • Apr 2002

You would use a UPnP control point, not apples remote app.
                            Spoon
                            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• ren3g7ade
                              • Feb 2011

Hi Spoon
                              Thanks for the quick response.

To followup on your question suppose i use a upnp control point like plugplayer for the iphone, would it act as the remote control for the music being streamed through my receiver, i.e. let me control what is being streamed to my home theater receiver?

Comment

• Spoon
                                Administrator
                                • Apr 2002

Yes
                                Spoon
                                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>